How do I join the Ohio State Concert Bands or Symphony Orchestra?
This page contains instructions, excerpts to prepare, the audition schedule and a link to sign up for your preferred audition time.
Auditions are open to ALL woodwind, brass and percussion students enrolled at Ohio State, regardless of major.
Learn about our bands.
Learn about our orchestras.
Wind Symphony, Symphonic Band, Collegiate Winds — by audition
- Music Majors: All woodwind, brass and percussion students majoring in music are expected to prepare audition materials for Wind Symphony, Symphonic Band and/or Symphony Orchestra. Music majors may not audition for Collegiate Winds as their primary ensemble.
University Band — audition not required
- Register for the course. Undergraduate: Music 2204.04 | Graduate: Music 7204.04.
- Placement auditions to seat the band occurs at the beginning of the semester.
Symphony Orchestra — by audition
Brass, woodwind and percussion auditions for the Symphony Orchestra are conducted by the respective studio teachers in coordination with auditions for Ohio State bands. Students playing these instruments will use the same audition resources as for bands.
Course times for Autumn 2022
Wind Symphony and Symphonic Band
Monday/Wednesday 1:50–3:55 p.m.
and Friday 1:50–2:45 p.m.
Collegiate Winds and University Band
Tuesday/Thursday 7–8:30 p.m.
Tuesday/Thursday 1:50–3:55 p.m. (Wed. 5:20–6:15 p.m. — strings only)
All ensembles are credit-bearing courses. Most ensemble have variable credit hours between 0.5 and 2, which allows you to participate without exceeding 18 hours per semester.
How to Audition
- Sign up for an audition time via Signup Genius. Reference the schedule shown below.
- if you are unable to audition during the scheduled audition window for your instrument, email Christopher Dent to request an alternate time. Please note: while we try to accommodate requests, we cannot guarantee that you will be granted your requested time.
- Complete the Instrumental Ensemble Information Form before you arrive for your audition.
- Music Majors are required to prepare repertoire for Wind Symphony, Symphonic Band and Orchestra.
- Non-Music Majors may choose to audition for all ensembles, or for Collegiate Winds only.
Auditions are evaluated by conducting and studio faculty members. Note that at any point during your audition, the committee may stop you, once they feel they have heard enough to make an informed ensemble placement.
The following times are available (first-come, first-served) in SignUp Genius.
Sunday, Aug. 21 • 2:30–5:30 p.m.
- Flute — Weigel Auditorium
- Clarinet — Timashev Rehearsal Room (N160)
Sunday, Aug. 21 • 7–8:30 p.m.
- Saxophone — Weigel Auditorium
- Oboe — Timashev Rehearsal Room (N160)
Monday, Aug. 22 • 6:30–9:30 p.m.
- Trumpet — Weigel Auditorium
- Euphonium/Tuba — Timashev Rehearsal Room (N160)
Tuesday, Aug. 23 • 1:50–3:55 p.m.
- Horn — Weigel Auditorium
- Bassoon — Timashev Rehearsal Room (N160)
Tuesday, Aug. 23 • 6:30–9 p.m.
- Percussion — Weigel Auditorium
- Trombone — Timashev Rehearsal Room (N160)
Required Musical Excerpts and Instructions
The required excerpts for all woodwind, brass and percussion instruments are available below.
Should you encounter issues with downloading the materials, email Christopher Dent, ensembles administrator. Mr. Dent responds to email between 9 a.m.–5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Wind Symphony, Symphonic Band, and/or Symphony Orchestra
From the audition packet, prepare and perform the following items:
- All repertoire excerpts and etudes in the order in which they appear in the document
- Music Majors (and non-majors who wish to be considered for placement in any ensemble) do NOT need to prepare the Compulsories and/or Lyrical Etude.
From the audition packet, prepare and perform only the following items:
- All exercises on the Compulsories page in the order in which they appear in the document
- The Lyrical Etude
In addition to the prepared materials in your packet, sight reading is required for ALL musicians' auditions.
University Band — no audition required
See instructions above.
Students who complete an audition for autumn semester large ensembles will receive an email notification on or before 12 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 26.
If you have not received an email by that time, email Christopher Dent.
Download the appropriate audition packet for autumn 2022. Note that these packets change each semester.
Email Christopher Dent, ensembles administrator.
[pdf] — The above links are to PDF files requiring Adobe Reader. If you need them in a more accessible format, please contact us.