Welcome to Audition Day
We are glad you have taken steps to apply and audition for The Ohio State School of Music. We welcome you, and wish to make this day as educational and enjoyable as possible. Below you will find audition dates and information that will assist you with your visit to campus.
Visit Undergraduates — How to Apply for detailed instructions. Once you apply to the university (deadline: February 1), you will also complete an application for the School of Music via Acceptd®. On that application, you will select your audition date.
The university application opens on August 1. The School of Music application will open soon — complete our Future Student Information form to be notified when School of Music applications open.
Undergraduate Audition Dates
Please check dates carefully when selecting your audition date. Audition dates occur in the same months as OMEA Solo and Ensemble contests. Your college audition is an all-day commitment. Please do not plan to participate in both activities on the same day.
Audition dates for the 2022–2023 academic year:
- Saturday, Dec. 4, 2021 * — on campus (no cello on this date)
- Saturday, Jan. 22, 2022 — LIVE VIRTUAL AUDITION (details below)
- Saturday, Feb. 12, 2022 — on campus
* Apply by November 1 if you wish to be considered for most university merit scholarships. If you apply to the university by the November 1 early action deadline, we strongly encourage you to choose the December audition date on your School of Music application so that your university admissions decision is not delayed.
COVID-19 Safety Protocol for Auditions
Per University COVID-19 safety protocols, all faculty, students, staff and visitors to Ohio State campuses are required to wear masks indoors, regardless of their vaccination status. Additional protocols for visiting musicians — COVID-19 Policies and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for Musicians
Live Virtual Audition — To offer increased flexibility to our prospective students, we have dedicated Saturday, Jan. 22 as a live virtual audition day. For this date only, all auditions will be held via AuditionRoom®, a live virtual platform hosted by Acceptd® where students will experience and engaging "Zoom-style" one-on-one interaction with faculty. Details will be provided to each applicant approximately one week before their audition date.
Percussion or Jazz Drum Set applicants — If you are unable to attend one of the in-person audition dates, and you choose the Virtual Audition date of January 22, 2022, you will be asked to upload a recorded audition video in advance as part of your application. This audition video will be used in lieu of a live performance audition, however you will still be scheduled for a virtual interview appointment on January 22 to be used as a chance to meet with faculty (no playing/instrument needed). Requirements for recorded video audition submissions are available at Audition Requirements. You may also contact Tanya Sparks at email@example.com to request an alternate in-person audition date — on weekdays only.
To prepare for your audition, consult the School of Music Audition Requirements.
Audition Day Schedule for Dec. 4 and Feb. 12
9-9:30 a.m. — Check-in (Hughes Hall, room 109)
9:30-10:30 — School of Music Welcome session (Hughes Auditorium)
10:30 — "Meet and greet" with faculty (Hughes 109), or warm up (Hughes 4th floor)
11 a.m. – Meet the School of Music Ambassadors (Hughes 013), or warm up (Hughes 4th floor)
11:30 – Auditions begin (Hughes Hall and Weigel Hall)
Auditions may go as late as 4 p.m. depending on your instrument. If you need to schedule a specific time, please contact Tanya Sparks at firstname.lastname@example.org.
School of Music tours led by School of Music Ambassadors will be available throughout the day.
- Dress for audition day can range from business casual to formal. You should look professional, yet feel comfortable.
- Coffee, tea and bagels are provided during check-in.
- Lunch is on your own.
- In case of inclement weather or unavoidable travel delay, please take all the time that you need to arrive safely. If you miss the theory exam, we will make other arrangements. If a Level 3 or above snow emergency is declared, audition day will be canceled and rescheduled. Travel safely!
- Students will be emailed final details a week prior to audition day, and will receive an assigned audition time at check-in on audition day.
Directions, Parking and Accommodations
- Driving directions and parking procedures for School of Music visitors
- Hotels, dining and more (University Hospitality District)
Audition Day Schedule for Jan. 22
Exact schedule to be determined — check back for updates.
- We will use Acceptd®'s AuditionRoom platform for the audition portion of the event. Specific technical instructions will be sent to you in advance of your audition date.
- Be sure to update Zoom to the latest version
- Plan to use a laptop or desktop, as some features needed for virtual events are not compatible with tablets or smartphones.
- A superior internet connection is essential. If your home WiFi is not strong, consider participating from another location — the home of a friend, relative, teacher, or perhaps your school.
- Even for a virtual audition, you should dress professionally, yet feel comfortable.
Are you a transfer student?
On audition day, transfer students will have a scheduled academic advising meeting to discuss how credits from your previous institution will transfer to Ohio State.