Academic admission to the university is separate from the School of Music application and audition process.
- High school seniors should first apply to the university by visiting The Ohio State University Undergraduate Admissions website (link provided below).
- Transfer students may proceed with their School of Music application and apply to the university before May 1 so that their autumn grades may be included.
Step 1: Apply to The Ohio State University
- Apply by November 15 if you wish to be considered for most university merit scholarships.
- Visit Undergraduate Cost + Aid for more information on university financial aid and scholarships.
2. Visit Undergraduate Admissions to complete your university application.
Step 2: Apply to the School of Music
2. Apply to the School of Music via Acceptd® at the link below.
- There is a $15 student application fee.
- All applications should be submitted by January 30, or two weeks prior to the chosen audition date, whichever comes first.
3. As part of the application process, you will be asked to select an audition date.
Audition Dates for Academic Year 2021–2022
To keep our communities safe, the university has canceled all in-person visits and events scheduled through December 2020. We are in the process of creating an engaging virtual audition experience. We will have updates soon.
If you apply to the university by the November 15 early action deadline, we strongly encourage you to choose the December 5 audition date so that your university admissions decision is not delayed.
- Saturday, December 5, 2020
- Saturday, January 23, 2021
- Saturday, February 13, 2021
If you are unable to attend one of our scheduled audition dates, you may choose to upload a video of your audition with your School of Music application.
4. Refer to Audition Requirements for repertoire suggestions, requirements for your audition and instructions to create and upload a video if you cannot attend a live audition.
For more information about our audition days, including a sample schedule, visit Audition Day information.
The School of Music application through Acceptd® is OPEN.
School of Music Scholarships
All talent-based music scholarships are made by faculty recommendation after your audition. These awards are separate and in addition to any merit-based or need-based scholarships that may be offered by the university.
Theory Placement Exam
For the 2020–2021 audition season — when auditions will be conducted remotely — all students who have committed to attend Ohio State will take the Theory Placement Exam (TPE) prior to the start of their summer orientation in May. This exam is administered to determine whether a student’s prior study has sufficiently prepared them for Theory I, and will help to inform the scheduling process. The exam covers basic notation, scales, key signatures, rhythm and chords.
The TPE will be administered via Zoom. Students will receive details well in advance.
The result of this test does not have an impact on a student’s admission into the School of Music.