For Academic Year 2022–2023
NOTE — If you are applying for the Bachelor of Science in Music degree (Computer Sciences, Sonic Arts or Media and Enterprise tracks), you must visit Bachelor of Science in Music — How to Apply.
Academic admission to the university is separate from the School of Music application and audition process.
- High school seniors should first apply to the university by visiting The Ohio State University Undergraduate Admissions website (link will be provided below on August 1).
- Transfer students may proceed with their School of Music application and apply to the university before May 1 so that their autumn grades may be included.
Step 1: Apply to The Ohio State University
- Apply by November 1 if you wish to be considered for most university merit scholarships.
- Visit Undergraduate Cost + Aid for more information on university financial aid and scholarships.
2. Visit Undergraduate Admissions to complete your university application.
The university application for academic year 2022–2023 is OPEN.
Step 2: Apply to the School of Music
2. Apply to the School of Music via Acceptd® at the link below.
- There is a $15 student application fee. If you select the virtual audition date of January 22, 2022, there is an additional $30 fee to use the AuditionRoom platform.
- All applications should be submitted by January 29, or two weeks prior to the chosen audition date, whichever comes first.
3. As part of the application process, you will be asked to select an audition date.
Audition Dates for Academic Year 2022–2023
If you apply to the university by the November 1 early action deadline, we strongly encourage you to choose the December 4 audition date so that your university admissions decision is not delayed.
- Saturday, Dec. 4, 2021 — on campus (no cello on this date)
- Saturday, Jan. 22, 2022 — live virtual audition*
- Saturday, Feb. 12, 2022 — on campus
* Percussion or Jazz Drum Set applicants — If you are unable to attend one of the in-person audition dates, and you choose the Virtual Audition date of January 22, 2022, you will be asked to upload a recorded audition video in advance as part of your application. This audition video will be used in lieu of a live performance audition, however you will still be scheduled for a virtual interview appointment on January 22 to be used as a chance to meet with faculty (no playing/instrument needed). Requirements for recorded video audition submissions are available at Audition Requirements. You may also contact Tanya Sparks at email@example.com to request an alternate in-person audition date — on weekdays only.
If you are unable to attend one of our scheduled audition dates, you may choose to upload a video of your audition with your School of Music application. The deadline to submit a video audition is January 29, 2022.
4. Refer to Audition Requirements for repertoire suggestions, requirements for your audition and instructions to create and upload a video if you cannot attend a live audition.
All auditions — whether in person, virtual or recorded — will receive full and equitable consideration for admission.
COVID-19 Safety Protocol for Auditions
Per University COVID-19 safety protocols, all faculty, students, staff and visitors to Ohio State campuses are required to wear masks indoors, regardless of their vaccination status. Additional protocols for visiting musicians — COVID-19 Policies and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for Musicians
For more information about our audition days, including a sample schedule, visit Audition Day Information.
The School of Music application through Acceptd® is OPEN.
School of Music Scholarships
All talent-based music scholarships are made by faculty recommendation after your audition. These awards are separate and in addition to any merit-based or need-based scholarships that may be offered by the university.
Theory Placement Exam
The Theory Placement Exam (TPE) is administered to determine whether a student’s prior study has sufficiently prepared them for Theory I, and will help to inform the scheduling process. The exam covers basic notation, scales, key signatures, rhythm and chords.
The TPE will be administered online to students that have committed to Ohio State and paid their acceptance fee in late spring, prior to Summer Orientation and registering for classes.