Academic admission to the university is separate from the School of Music application and audition process.
Step 1: Apply to The Ohio State University
- Apply by November 1 if you wish to be considered for most merit scholarships.
- Visit Undergraduate Cost + Aid for more information on university financial aid and scholarships.
2. Visit Undergraduate Admissions to complete your university application.
Step 2: Apply to the School of Music
2. Apply to the School of Music via Acceptd® at the link below.
- There is a $15 student application fee.
- All applications should be submitted by January 25, or two weeks prior to the chosen audition date, whichever comes first.
3. As part of the application process, you will be asked to select an audition date.
Audition Dates for Academic Year 2020–2021
If you apply to the university by the November 1 early action deadline, we strongly encourage you to choose the December audition date so that your university admissions decision is not delayed.
- Thursday, Dec. 5, 2019
- Saturday, Jan. 25, 2020
- Saturday, Feb. 8, 2020
If you are unable to attend one of our scheduled audition dates, you may choose to either upload a video of your audition or request an alternative date – on weekdays only – in your School of Music application.
4. Refer to Audition Requirements for repertoire suggestions, requirements for your audition and instructions to create and upload a video if you cannot attend a live audition.
For more information about our audition days, including a sample schedule, visit Audition Day Information.
School of Music Scholarships
All talent-based music scholarships are made by facutly recommendation after your audition. These awards are separate and in addition to any merit-based or need-based scholarships that may be offered by the university.
Theory Placement Exam
All students will take a Theory Placement Exam (TPE) on the day of their live audition to determine if they are ready to enter Music Theory I. The exam covers basic notation, scales, key signatures, rhythm and chords.
For students who submit a video audition, the TPE is postponed until arrival on campus.
Please note, the results of your TPE will not affect your application to the School of Music.
[pdf]—Some links on this page are to Adobe .pdf files requiring Adobe Reader. If you need them in a more accessible format, please contact us.