For Academic Year 2023–2024
NOTE — If you are applying for the Bachelor of Science in Music degree (Computer Sciences, Sonic Arts or Media and Enterprise tracks), you must visit Bachelor of Science in Music — How to Apply.
Academic admission to the university is separate from the School of Music application and audition process.
- High school seniors: The university application for academic year 2023–2024 is now CLOSED. Deadline: Feb. 1, 2023
- Transfer students may apply to the university before May 1 for autumn 2023 admission.
- A music audition is required for admissions consideration. Transfer students or other university-admitted students may inquire about a special late audition by contacting Tanya Sparks at email@example.com. These requests are handled on a case-by-case basis and are not guaranteed.
For Academic Year 2024–2025
Step 1: Apply to The Ohio State University
1. Review all university deadlines and requirements for incoming freshmen and transfer students.
- Apply by November 1 if you wish to be considered for most university merit scholarships.
- Visit Undergraduate Cost + Aid for more information on university financial aid and scholarships.
2. The university application for academic year 2024–2025 will open August 1, 2023.
Step 2: Apply to the School of Music
1. Review our Undergraduate Degrees and Areas of Study
2. Apply to the School of Music via Acceptd®
3. As part of the application process, you will be asked to select an audition date.
4. Refer to Audition Requirements for repertoire suggestions, requirements for your audition and instructions to create and upload a video if you cannot attend a live audition.
All auditions — whether in person, virtual or recorded — will receive full and equitable consideration for admission.
For more information about our audition days, including a sample schedule, visit Audition Day Information.
The music application for academic year 2024–2025 will open August 1, 2023.
Audition dates for admission in the 2024–2025 academic year:
- Saturday, Dec. 2, 2023
- Saturday, Jan. 20, 2024
- Saturday, Feb. 10, 2024
School of Music Scholarships
All talent-based music scholarships are made by faculty recommendation after your audition. These awards are separate and in addition to any merit-based or need-based scholarships that may be offered by the university.
Theory Placement Exam
The Theory Placement Exam (TPE) is administered to determine whether a student’s prior study has sufficiently prepared them for Theory I, and will help to inform the scheduling process. The exam covers basic notation, scales, key signatures, rhythm and chords.
The TPE will be administered online to students that have committed to Ohio State and paid their acceptance fee in late spring, prior to Summer Orientation and registering for classes.