July 12 – 14, 2019
Steinbrenner Band Center, Ohio Stadium
The Marching Band Summer Clinic is an opportunity for high school marching band students to improve their musicianship and marching skills as they contemplate an audition for the Ohio State Marching Band. Under the direction of marching band staff and student leaders, participants learn the music and military-style marching fundamentals used by the Ohio State Marching Band in an encouraging, fun and interactive environment.
Professor Christopher Hoch
Ohio State University Marching Band Director
Eligibility: For students entering grades 10 – 12 in the 2019 – 2020 school year, as well as 2019 high school graduates. Students must have completed at least one year of marching band and must play a brass or percussion instrument.
- Brass and percussion instruments will be available to be checked out at no additional cost. A few weeks prior to the clinic, those registered who wish to borrow instruments will be provided with a link to complete a request.
Program fee – commuter: $275 — Tuition, T-shirt, Fri. dinner, Sat. – Sun. lunch and dinner. No housing.
Program fee – resident: $375 — Tuition, T-shirt and housing with three meals per day.
Dormitory space is limited and traditionally reaches capacity prior to the registration deadline.* Space is available on a first-come, first-served basis and completion of all registration steps (payment and signed required paperwork).
Daily Schedule Overview (A detailed daily schedule will be provided three weeks prior to the start of the program)
- Friday — 12 noon to 9:15 p.m.
- Saturday — 8:45 a.m. to 9:15 p.m.
- Sunday — 8:45 a.m. to 8 p.m.
The finale concert will take place Sunday, July 15 at 7 p.m. at the Lincoln Tower Practice Field (between Morrill and Lincoln Towers). This concert is free and open to the public.
- Full registration deadline: June 19, 2019
- Limited registration deadline: July 5, 2019
Registrations completed by the Full registration deadline (online registration, and receipt of tuition payment and completed forms) will include all resources of the program (dormitory housing, T-shirt, meals etc.). After that deadline, all submitted registrations are considered Limited which may mean that some resources are not available (program capacity, dormitory housing, T-shirt, meals etc.). Be reminded that programs do sometimes fill to capacity prior to the Full registration deadline.
This program traditionally reaches capacity before the deadline. We will accept the first 300 students who have registered, paid and submitted required forms.
Program registration consists of three steps:
After submitting the online registration, you will immediately receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive it, one of three things has happened:
- The email address you entered on your form may be incorrect
- The confirmation email was sent to your SPAM box
- The online registration was not received by our system
If you do not receive the confirmation email within two hours of submitting a registration, contact the Youth Summer Music Programs registrar for further instructions.
Step Two—Payment. Pay the participation fee online according to the instructions contained in your registration confirmation email. You will then see a "Checkout complete" screen acknowledging that your payment is in process, and an order number. Keep this number for your records.
If you choose to pay with a check or money order (made payable to "The Ohio State University"), mail payment to the School of Music at the address below. You will receive confirmation by email within 7 – 10 business days.
The Ohio State University School of Music
ATTN: Marching Band Clinic—YSMP Registrar
110 Weigel Hall
1866 College Rd.
Columbus, OH 43210
Step Three—Required forms. Parents or guardians are required to print out, complete, sign and send the following FOUR forms:
- Parental Permission Form [pdf]
- Ohio State Photo Release Form [pdf]
- Standards of Behavior Form [pdf]
- Consent to Treat MB Clinic Participant [pdf]
Mail the completed and signed forms to the address above, or scan and email them to the YSMP registrar.
You will receive a welcome email with further instructions about program attendance approximately two weeks before the event.
- For questions regarding Marching Band Clinic curriculum, contact Christopher Hoch at email@example.com or call 614-292-2598.
- For questions or concerns about registration or payment procedures, email the Youth Summer Music Programs registrar.
[pdf]—Some links on this page are to Adobe .pdf files requiring Adobe Reader. If you need them in a more accessible format, contact us.