Wednesday–Saturday, June 19–22
Students will work with the faculty and students of the Ohio State bassoon and oboe studios in an atmosphere designed to be informative, inspirational and enjoyable. Rehearse and perform in a large Double Reed Choir as well as small chamber ensembles and get "hands-on" with the arts and crafts of reed-making and adjustment during reed classes. In master classes, you will develop performance enhancement strategies, explore solo repertoire, and much more. Make friends and join a supportive double reed community by taking part in Double Reed Camp at Ohio State.
ELIGIBILITY — For students entering grade 8 (commuters only); grades 9–12 in the 2024–2025 school year and 2024 high school graduates (resident or commuter). Must have at least one year of experience on your instrument.
MAXIMUM ENROLLMENT — 40
FEES — $495 Resident (includes T-shirt and meals) / $395 Commuter (includes T-shirt and lunch)
Registration deadline — Wednesday, May 29
STEP 1 — You will be required to make payment via credit card at the time of registration. Shortly after submitting payment, you will receive an email confirming the transaction.
NOTE — The registration/payment form works best on a computer (PC or Mac).
MAC USERS — use Chrome, not Safari.
STEP 2 — Permission forms. 3–5 days after you register and pay, parents/guardians and participants will receive permission forms via DocuSign shortly after registration is complete. All forms must be returned by the DocuSign deadline in order to participate.
STEP 3 — Submit a video.
All students are accepted to camp. This audition video is used solely to determine part assignments and form chamber groups of similar playing levels for a meaningful and fun musical experience.
Before Wednesday, May 29, students are asked to submit an audition video of 1 to 5 minutes in length. You can do this with your smartphone.
For your audition video, please play the following three things:
- a major scale of your choice
- chromatic scale, and
- a musical selection of your choice (this could be a solo piece, an etude, or band music)
Create and submit your video:
- Step 1— Record your video
- Step 2— Upload your audition to YouTube as an UNLISTED VIDEO
- Step 3— Send an email to the professor of your instrument with the link to your UNLISTED VIDEO on YouTube
Be sure to include your full name in your email so that we can match it with your registration submission.
Need help? These instructional videos can help with this process:
Deadline: Wednesday, May 29
- Oboes — Email Dr. Abby Yeakle Held at email@example.com
- Bassoons — Email Prof. Schartz at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Approximately one week before the program, participants and parents/guardians will receive an email with basic information about what to pack, arrival, parking, and check-in, as well as a Digital Handbook with important information for a successful experience.
- Visit Youth Summer Music Programs Frequently Asked Questions.
- Questions regarding curriculum? Email Professor Abby Yeakle Held at email@example.com or Professor Jesse Schartz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Questions about registration or payment? Email YouthSummerMusic@osu.edu.