Sunday–Friday, June 23–28
Sunday 2–6 p.m. and
Monday–Friday 8:30 am.–3:30 p.m. daily
(This daily schedule is firm. We are unable to provide supervision prior to or after the program ends each day.)
The Middle School Concert Band Academy is specifically designed for middle-level concert band musicians to enrich their understanding of music in an enjoyable, non-competitive and positive week-long program. In addition to rehearsals in the large ensemble, students will take part in instrument-specific master classes, as well as choose two electives: Beginning Conducting, Beginning Jazz, Beginning Piano, World Drumming, Ukelele. The program will conclude with a band performance that is free and open to the public.
Professor David Hedgecoth
ELIGIBILITY — For students entering grades 6–9 in the 2024–2025 school year. All participants must have at least one year of playing experience.
MAXIMUM ENROLLMENT — 100
FEES — $395, includes T-shirt. Students will bring a bag lunch each day.
You will be asked to indicate elective preferences on the registration form.
- Beginning Conducting — Try your hand at leading a group from the podium.
- Beginning Piano — Beginning piano elective for students will little or no piano experience.
- Beginning Jazz — Open to all students regardless of instrument and experience. Provides an introduction to jazz band for students interested in knowing more about this rich American art form. Students will use their own instruments for this elective.
- Ukulele — Open to all students regardless of instrument and experience. Explores and provides skills on this popular instrument within the guitar family…with historical ties to Hawaii and Portugal. Ukuleles are provided.
- World Drumming — Open to all students regardless of instrument and experience. Explores hand drumming traditions from around the world with all students engaged in “hands-on” experiences. Percussion instruments are provided.
Registration Deadline — Monday, June 3
STEP 1 — You will be required to make payment via credit card at the time of registration. Shortly after submitting payment, you will receive an email confirming the transaction.
NOTE — The registration/payment form works best on a computer (PC or Mac).
MAC USERS — use Chrome, not Safari.
STEP 2 — Permission forms. 3–5 days after you register and pay, parents/guardians and participants will receive permission forms via DocuSign shortly after registration is complete. All forms must be returned by the DocuSign deadline in order to participate.
- Approximately one week before the program, participants and parents/guardians will receive an email with basic information about what to pack, arrival, parking, and check-in, as well as a Digital Handbook with important information for a successful experience.