June 16 — 20, 2019
Now entering its 34th year, the five-day Flute Workshop provides high school flutists with a unique opportunity to develop as musicians; engage with peers from around the state and region; work with Ohio State faculty, flute students and alumni; and enjoy the college experience on campus. Activities include private lessons, master classes, chamber ensemble participation and more!
Program director: Professor Katherine Borst Jones
- Private lessons
- Master classes
- Flute choir
- Daily coached chamber ensembles
- Performance opportunities
- Jazz and theory classes
Eligibility: For students entering grades 9 – 12 in the 2019 – 2020 school year, as well as 2019 high school graduates.
Program fee – commuter: $395 — Tuition and T-shirt only. No housing or meals.
Program fee – resident: $495 — Tuition, T-shirt and housing with three meals per day.
Daily Schedule Overview — A detailed daily schedule will be provided approximately three weeks prior to the start of the program.
- Sunday — 1 p.m. to approx. 9:30 p.m.
- Monday–Wednesday — 8:30 a.m. to approx. 9:30 p.m.
- Thursday — 8:15 a.m. to approx. 4 p.m.
Concerts—All performances are free and open to the public.
- Sunday at 8 p.m. — Faculty Recital: Katherine Borst Jones and Guests
- Monday — Flute Workshop Counselor Recital
- Wednesday — Solo Night
- Thursday, 1:30–3 p.m. — Closing Concert
- Full registration deadline: May 22, 2019
- Limited registration deadline: June 12, 2019
Registrations completed by the Full registration deadline (online registration, and receipt of tuition payment and completed forms) will include all resources of the program (dormitory housing, T-shirt, meals etc.). After that deadline, all submitted registrations are considered Limited which may mean that some resources are not available (program capacity, dormitory housing, T-shirt, meals etc.). Be reminded that programs do sometimes fill to capacity prior to the Full registration deadline.
This program traditionally reaches capacity before the deadline. We will accept the first 50 students who have registered, paid and submitted required forms.
Program registration consists of three steps:
After submitting the online registration, you will immediately receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive it, one of three things has happened:
- The email address you entered on your form may be incorrect
- The confirmation email was sent to your SPAM box
- The online registration was not received by our system
If you do not receive the confirmation email within two hours of submitting a registration, contact the Youth Summer Music Programs registrar for further instructions.
Step Two—Payment. Pay the participation fee online according to the instructions contained in your registration confirmation email. You will then see a "Checkout complete" screen acknowledging that your payment is in process, and an order number. Keep this number for your records.
If you choose to pay with a check or money order (made payable to "The Ohio State University"), mail payment to the School of Music at the address below. You will receive confirmation by email within 7 – 10 business days.
The Ohio State University School of Music
ATTN: Flute Workshop—YSMP Registrar
110 Weigel Hall
1866 College Rd.
Columbus, OH 43210
Refund Policy. All but $100 of your fee will be refunded prior to the porgram's registration deadline. Refunds after the deadline are made at the discretion of the program director.
Step Three—Required forms. Parents or guardians are required to print out, complete, sign and send the following forms:
Mail the completed and signed forms to the address above, or scan and email them to the YSMP registrar.
You will receive a welcome email with further instructions about program attendance approximately two weeks before the event.
- Visit Youth Summer Music Programs Frequently Asked Questions.
- For questions regarding Flute Workshop curriculum, contact Katherine Borst Jones at email@example.com or call 614-292-4618.
- For questions or concerns about registration or payment procedures, email the Youth Summer Music Programs registrar.
[pdf]—Some links on this page are to Adobe .pdf files requiring Adobe Reader. If you need them in a more accessible format, contact us.