Summer Program FAQs
The Ohio State School of Music has hosted thousands of young musicians for fun, exciting and rewarding summer music experiences for over 30 years.
For information about the activities and opportunities offered by each program, visit the individual program's web page.
This page contains frequently asked questions about registration, payment, attendance and further details.
Registration and Payment Questions
- How do I register? All participants must register online. Find a link to the registration form on the web page of each program. Note that your space is not guaranteed until payment is made in full and required paperwork has been received. Consult your program's web page for details.
- Will I receive confirmation of my registration? After submitting an online registration, you will receive a confirmation email with a link to online payment as well as additional information to help you complete the registration process. If you do not receive this email, one of three things has happened: (1) the email address you entered may be incorrect; (2) the confirmation email was sent to your SPAM box; or (3) the online registration was not received by our system. If you do not receive a confirmation email within two hours of submitting the online form, please contact the YSMP registrar.
- How do I pay? After registering, you may pay online with a credit card, or by check via U.S. Mail. Make checks payable to The Ohio State University.
- Must I pay in full at the time of registration? Full payment is required at the time of registration. Many programs reach capacity prior to the deadline. Your place is only confirmed once we receive full payment and required paperwork.
- Will I receive confirmation that my payment and paperwork were received? If you pay online, you will receive an email receipt shortly after submitting payment. For payment and paperwork that has been mailed, you will receive an email confirmation in 7 – 10 business days.
- When do you stop accepting registrations? Registration is open until either a program either reaches capacity or the registration deadline has passed. Many programs fill quickly, so register and submit payment and paperwork early!
- When will I receive additional details and instructions about my program? Information specific to your program (schedule, packing list etc.) will be emailed approximately three weeks prior to the start date. Review it carefully prior to your arrival.
- Where will participants be housed? All participants stay in air-conditioned dorms on north campus.
- How are roommate assignments determined? We do our best to honor roommate requests, but they cannot be guaranteed. If your roommate request changes after you register, contact the Youth Summer Programs registrar no later than 21 days before your program begins so we can make the appropriate changes. If a roommate is not requested, we try to match students by age or grade level.
- Who supervises the participants? The safety and well-being of each program participant is central to our mission. All program faculty and staff are screened and trained annually as part of comprehensive university policy.
- I need to arrive early/depart late. Will the program provide accommodations? Availability of accommodations is dependent on the program. Please contact the director of the program to inquire about specific policy.
- What is your refund policy? All but $100 of your fee will be refunded prior to the program's registration deadline. Refunds after the deadline are made at the discretion of the program director.
- May parents stay and watch the programs? Parents are welcome to attend program concerts, which are free and open to the public.
- How can I receive information about upcoming programs? The School of Music offers a wide variety of programs for middle and high school musicians as well as hundreds of concerts that are open to the public. Visit music.osu.edu/events and the Outreach pages for details. These pages are updated often.
- How do I contact the program faculty and staff? Direct questions about individual program content to the program's faculty director. Direct questions about registration or payment to the Youth Summer Music Programs registrar. Contact information can be found on each program's web page.