February 26, 2022 • Hughes Hall Auditorium
10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Dear Double Reed Students and Parents,
Thank you for your interest in our Double Reed Workshop. This is a fun-filled day of all things double reed, which is open to middle and high school oboists and bassoonists with at least one year of playing experience.
We look forward to welcoming you to campus on February 26!
Karen Pierson, associate professor, bassoon
Abby Yeakle Held, associated faculty, oboe
Listen to recordings from previous double reed outreach events.
Double Reed Workshop Overview
We invite middle and high school oboists and bassoonists with at least one full year of playing experience to join us on campus for an exciting day of double reed events! Highlights include the opportunity to work with Ohio State faculty and students, learn about the art of reed making, rehearse and perform together in a conducted large ensemble comprised entirely of double reed instruments.
See the registration instructions below.
Program fee: $35
NOTE — Due to current health and safety guidelines, we are unable to provide lunch at this time. Attendees will be instructed to bring a bag lunch, and all safety protocols including distancing will be followed at lunchtime. More details will be included in the "Final Instructions" email you will receive one week before the event.
Registration and Payment
- Oboe registration is closed. If you are still interested, email Abby Yeakle Held.
- Bassoon registration is closed. If you are still interested, email Karen Pierson.
The registration process for Double Reed Workshop consists of several steps:
STEP 1. Download the following music for review. This must be completed before you register, as the registration form will include a few questions about these excerpts. Knowing your current level of comfort with this repertoire will allow us to provide the most helpful and meaningful experience for each participant.
- Download the Theme and Variations PDF for your instrument and read through it carefully.
- Oboe: 5 excerpts from Hummel's Theme and Variations for Oboe and Orchestra [pdf]
- Bassoon: 4 excerpts from Brahms' Variations on a Theme by Haydn [pdf]
- Play through each excerpt several times (as you are able) and get to know them well enough to respond to the following questions, which will appear on the workshop registration form. Be honest, and don't feel tempted to overstate your ability. Our goal is for you to get the most out of the day and enjoy the experience.
- Which excerpts, if any, could you easily sight-read?
- Which excerpts are very easy?
- Which excerpts would you be able to play with confidence if you practiced them?
- Which excerpts are beyond your current skill level?
- Is there anything in these excerpts that you haven't yet learned or aren't yet comfortable with? (e.g. extreme range fingerings, new clefs, ornaments, meters, key signatures, etc.).
- The registration form will require you to respond to each of the questions above with one or more of the following answers — Theme, Variation 1, Variation 2, Variation 3, Variation 4.
STEP 2. Complete the online registration form and pay the program fee ($35) by credit card. An email confirmation will be delivered a few minutes after submitting payment.
DEADLINE — Friday, February 11
STEP 3. Complete and submit required forms. Approximately a week after registering, parents and students will receive the required participation forms via DocuSign. The forms must be completed and submitted by Monday, February 21 in order to participate.
STEP 4. FINAL INSTRUCTIONS. Approximately one week prior to the event, all registered participants will receive an email with detailed information for February 26, including arrival, parking, check-in, what to bring, and more.
- Faculty — Abby Yeakle Held, associated faculty, oboe | Karen Pierson, associate professor, bassoon
- Workshop administrator — Michael Rueda
[pdf] — Some links on this page are to PDF files requiring Adobe Reader. If you need them in a more accessible format, contact us.