David Hedgecoth is an assistant professor in the Music Education area of the School of Music at The Ohio State University. He leads courses in graduate and undergraduate methods and conducts the Collegiate Winds. He is also the Resident Director of the Brazilian Experience Education Abroad Program. In addition to his teaching responsibilities at Ohio State, Dr. Hedgecoth serves as a mentor for the Sophomore Transformational Experience Program (STEP); he is the faculty advisor for the Collegiate Winds, the Collegiate Chapter of the National Association for Music Education, and the Ohio State of Mind a cappella ensemble. He also serves on the educational and outreach committees for Chamber Music Columbus and the ProMusica Chamber Orchestra. His research interests include charter schools, educational policy and change, and international education. His research has been published in the Music Educators Journal, Research and Issues in Music Education, Arts Education Policy Review, Philosophy of Music Education Review, Contributions to Music Education, TRIAD, and Southwestern Musician.
Prior to his appointment at Ohio State, Hedgecoth served on the music education faculty of the University of Oregon. He holds degrees in music education from Florida State University, and a PhD from The Ohio State University. A native of Jacksonville, Florida, Hedgecoth began his teaching career with the Seminole County Public School system, where he spent nine years as a middle school and high school band director.
- Hedgecoth, D. (2019). Charter schools and musical choice. Philosophy of Music Education Review (in press).
- Hedgecoth, D. (2018). Student perceptions and learning outcomes from self-guided large ensemble rehearsal. Research and Issues in Music Education, 14(1).
- Hedgecoth, D. (2018). Collaborations bring success for charter school students. Music Educators Journal, 105(2). 51–56.
- Hedgecoth, D.; Major, M. (2018). Revisioning and reinstating: Music education after the Great Recession. Arts Education Policy Review, 119.
- Hedgecoth, D. (2017). Music education in the curriculum of Ohio charter schools. Contributions to Music Education, 42. 73–88.
- Hedgecoth, D.; Fischer, S. (2014). 100 years of advocacy in Music Educators Journal — What does history tell us? Music Educators Journal, 100(4). 54–58.
- Hedgecoth, D. (2017). The sounds of music or the sound of silence? TRIAD, Ohio Music Education Association, 85(1).
- Hedgecoth, D.; Gillespie R. (2017). Full orchestra in the schools. American String Teachers Journal, 76(1).
- Hedgecoth, D. (2017). Changing dynamics: navigating LGBT topics in your classroom. SmartMusic. https://www.smartmusic.com/blog/navigating-lgbt-topics-classroom/
- Hedgecoth, D., Kelly, R. (2016). Your first six months, survive and thrive. Southwestern Musician, 85(1). 42-45.
- Hedgecoth, D. (2015). Horn Improvement 101: Five check ups to assist your horn players. TRIAD, Ohio Music Education Association, 83(2).
- Hedgecoth, D. (2013). Do you know this woman? You should. TRIAD, Ohio Music Education Association, 81(2).
- Hedgecoth, D. (2012). The power of 77. Oregon Music Educators Journal, 65(3). 8-9.
Research Currently in Review
- Hedgecoth, D. (2018). “This is not what I was trained to do”: perspectives of first-year charter school music teachers.