Placement Video Recording and Submission
Students who have been accepted to participate in the honor band weekend must prepare a brief (1–2 minute) video for placement into one of the bands.
Read the instructions below thoughtfully.
If you have questions about the bands or the process, email Robert Brooks.
BAND PLACEMENT VIDEO — Due by MONDAY, SEPT. 25
Video Requirements (all instruments)
Your video should be no longer than 2 minutes.
- All instruments:
- Guitar and Piano should also record a chorus of comping.
- Bass should also record a chorus walking a bass line
- Drums should include 12 measures of 4/4 swing, 12 measures of drums solo, 12 measures of bossa nova. All at 132 bpm.
Video Recording and Submission
- Each attendee must submit a video for review, according to the procedures outlined below.
- Auditions will be evaluated by Jazz Studies faculty members.
- Recordings are due no later than MONDAY, SEPT. 25.
RECORDING AND TECHNICAL INFORMATION
BEFORE you begin — EQUIPMENT CHECK
- Use whatever video recording device you have at your disposal (video camera, phone, tablet, computer, etc.), but select a device that captures the highest quality audio.
- When positioning the camera, be sure that you can be seen clearly in the video.
- Before recording, test the audio level and picture quality of both the device and microphone.
THE ACTUAL RECORDING
- The audition video recording is to be one continuous take, with no pauses or edits in any way.
- Begin the video with a short personal introduction. State:
- Your first and last name
- Your grade level (e.g. 10th grade)
- Full name of your high school
- Your home town (e.g. “Columbus, OH,” “Moorhead, MN,” etc.)
- Following your personal introduction, proceed with your performance. Your video should be only about 1-2 minutes long, based on the instructions for content above.
FINALIZING AND UPLOADING YOUR VIDEO
- View your completed video in its entirety to ensure that it includes all of the required components and your finest quality performance.
- Post your video as an unlisted video on YouTube. Below are links to instructional videos that can help with this process:
- Uploading videos to YouTube:
- How to create an UNLISTED (NOT PRIVATE) YouTube video:
SENDING YOUR VIDEO LINK
- Send an email to Dr. Robert Brooks at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please type “High School Honor Jazz Band” in the subject line of the email and include the following information in the body of the email:
- First and last name
- The working YouTube link to the finalized audition video
- The link to your audition video must be received by MONDAY, SEPT. 25.