Daryl W. Kinney
Associate Professor and Area Head of Music Education
204A Hughes Hall
1899 College Road
Areas of Expertise
- Non-musical outcomes of music education
- Music perception and cognition
- Music teacher education
- PhD, The Ohio State University
- BM and MM, Virginia Commonwealth University
Daryl W. Kinney, associate professor, joined the music education faculty at Ohio State in 2005. Specializing in instrumental music education, Dr. Kinney teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in instrumental music methods, materials and instruction. Formerly a high school and middle school band director in Richmond, Virginia, his bands received consistent superior ratings and regularly earned the distinction of being named a "Commonwealth of Virginia Honor Band."
Kinney's research interests are in music and non-music (e.g. academic achievement) outcomes of formalized music instruction, music cognition and music teacher education. His research can be found in the Journal of Research in Music Education, Bulletin of the Council for Research in Music Education, Journal of Music Teacher Education, International Journal of Music Education and Empirical Musicology Review. He also serves on the editorial boards for the Journal of Music Teacher Education and Contributions to Music Education. In addition to his research agenda, Kinney continues to be an active conductor, clinician and adjudicator of bands throughout the country.
Kinney received his education at Virginia Commonwealth University (BM and MM) and The Ohio State University (PhD). Prior to his appointment at Ohio State, he served as coordinator of Music Education at Kent State University where he oversaw all aspects of the undergraduate and graduate programs in music education. While there, Kinney taught undergraduate and graduate courses in instrumental music education, graduate courses in research, data analysis and design, and directed master’s theses and doctoral dissertations.
Featured Professional Activities
- Kinney, D. W. (2010). Selected nonmusical predictors of urban students’ decisions to enroll and persist in middle school band programs. Journal of Research in Music Education, 57(4), 334-350.
- Kinney, D. W. (2009). Internal consistency of performance evaluation as a function of music expertise and excerpt familiarity. Journal of Research in Music Education, 56(4), 322-337.
- Kinney, D. W. (2008). Selected demographic variables, school music participation, and achievement test scores of urban middle school students. Journal of Research in Music Education, 56(2), 145-161.
- Distinguished Scholar Award, The Ohio State University