The student recital is an essential part of every performance and music education degree at the School of Music. Individual degree programs within the School of Music have different requirements, so students are advised to discuss those requirements with their studio instructor.
The recital scheduling process begins in the semester prior to the semester of the recital. All students are advised to begin the process early to ensure that all deadlines can be met in a timely manner.
Step 1 — Scheduling Instructions and FAQs
Download the Recital Scheduling Guide [pdf] for step-by-step instructions and answers to frequently asked questions. To begin, this Scheduling Guide will inform you of the length of recital and dress rehearsal(s) required for your degree program. You will need to know these requirements in order to move to the next step to request recital dates and times.
Step 2 — Download Scheduling Form(s)
- IF performing in Hughes Auditorium, download and print this Permission to Schedule Student Recital form [pdf].
- IF performing an Off-Campus recital, download and print the Permission to Schedule Student Recital form AND this Off-Campus Recital Request form [pdf].
The form(s) MUST be completed and submitted at least SIX WEEKS before your desired recital date.
Step 3 — Complete and Submit Scheduling Form(s)
- To determine the required length of your recital, refer to the "How Much Time" section in the Recital Scheduling Guide.
- IF performing in Hughes Auditorium:
- IF performing Off-Campus, ALSO complete the Off-Campus Recital Request form as instructed.
- Email the completed form(s) to the Recital Scheduling Staff at email@example.com.
If you are unable to submit your form(s) electronically, you must email the recital scheduling staff to make alternate arrangements.
Step 4 — Receive Recital Confirmation and Recital Packet for Next Steps
Your preferences will be considered and you will receive email confirmation within 3–5 business days.
Recital Packet and Next Steps
Once your recital is confirmed, you will receive your Recital Packet with the next steps for planning and completing your recital requirements. You will use some of the resources below to complete those steps.
Recital Program Template
Part of the recital preparation process includes preparing your printed program. Refer to the Recital Program Guidelines and Approval form included in the Recital Packet, to create your program. Follow the format found in the instructions. If you need technical assistance, email the program editor.*
Stage Crew Needs (Hughes Auditorium, only) and Recording Services
Your Recital Packet will detail the requirements and services available for your recital.
Need help promoting your recital? Visit Recital Promotion Tips for some useful suggestions.
Any questions about the scheduling process that are not answered in the Student Recital Guide should be directed to the recital scheduling staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* [docx] — Recital templates are Microsoft .docx files requiring Microsoft Word. If you are unable to download to Word, please email, noting type of device and/or description of the difficulty.
[pdf] — Some links on this page are to Adobe .pdf files requiring Adobe Reader. If you need them in a more accessible format, please contact us.