Academic Year 2021–2022
Practice Room COVID Procedures
- Per university policy, masks must be worn indoors at all times. Modified musician masks are permitted.
- Alone in a practice room or classroom? Masks recommended.
- Two people in a practice room or classroom? Masks required!
- There is no mandatory 15-minute rest period this year. Proceed however you feel comfortable.
- Use disinfectant wipes on doorknobs, light switches, piano keys — all high-touch surfaces.
- Do not eat or drink in the practice rooms. WATER ONLY. For safety, do not leave your personal belongings in the room, and take your trash with you when you leave.
- Wind players — DO NOT release your water valve onto the floor. Please collect excess water on a paper plate and dispose of it carefully in the trash container when you leave.
Hughes Hall Practice Rooms
Practice rooms on the 4th floor of Hughes Hall are available to all Ohio State University students with priority being given to music majors. The rooms are unlocked during regular building hours, unless otherwise noted (see Facilities). Campus buildings are closed during university holidays.
Hughes Practice Room Reservation Guidelines
Rooms are available ONLY by reservation via Microsoft Bookings.
- Practice rooms 403–406 are available beginning on the hour. Practice rooms 408–411 are available beginning on the half hour.
- You may reserve more than one block at a time (maximum 3 time slots per student, per day).
- Log in to Microsoft Bookings below, using your university email and password. Select a practice room, then click on the date you wish to reserve it. Available times are listed. You will receive a confirmation email upon submitting your reservation.
Questions? Email Christopher Dent.
Weigel Hall Instrument and Piano Practice Rooms
Practice rooms on the second floor of Weigel must be reserved, according to the guidelines and schedule below, and are available by key access ONLY.
Rooms may be used only when the building is open (see Facilities). Campus buildings are closed during university holidays.
A $5 cash deposit is due when a key is checked out, and is returned to you with the return of the key. Non-music majors are not allowed to have keys to any of these rooms.
Weigel Practice Room Reservation Guidelines
- Rooms may be reserved for the semester. Reservations automatically repeat each week.
- Only music majors may sign up for Weigel practice rooms.
- If you are:
- enrolled for 2 hours of lessons (piano and other) — you may sign up for 7 hours per week of practice time. Non-piano majors may have 5 of those hours between 7 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
- enrolled for 4 hours of lessons (piano and other) — you may sign up for 14 hours per week of practice time. Non-piano majors may have 10 of those hours between 7 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
- a doctoral piano student — you may sign up for an additional 6 hours on weekends.
- a GTA (graduate teaching associate) giving individual instruction, you may sign up two days ahead of everyone else. In an effort to be fair to other students, you must abide by the following guidelines:
- Maximum of 10 practice hours between 7 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
- Maximum of 6 teaching hours between 7 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
- Maximum of 6 hours on weekends
- Maximum of 4 hours in evenings
- Total of no more than 26 hours per week
Practice rooms may be reserved at the beginning of each semester and will be available to the designated student at their assigned time throughout the entire semester. Sign-ups begin Monday during week #3 of each semester. For Spring 2022, reservations will be managed through SignUpGenius beginning Monday, January 24 from 9:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m. each day and ends Friday, January 28 at 4 p.m. Use the links below (to be provided on Friday, Jan. 21) and sign up according to the seniority schedule, with preference given to piano majors for rooms with grand pianos. Only PIANO MAJORS may reserve piano practice rooms during sign-up week.
Week 3 Practice Room Sign-Up Schedule (Please sign up on your day ONLY)
Monday, Jan. 24 — GTA Teaching Hours
Tuesday, Jan. 25 — GTA and Graduate Student Practice Hours
Wednesday, Jan. 26 — Seniors
Thursday, Jan. 27 — Juniors
Friday, Jan. 28 — Sophomores/Freshmen
WEIGEL PRACTICE ROOM SCHEDULE
Instrument Practice Rooms 222 and 224
Beginning week #4, hours that are not signed out by anyone may be reserved on a first-come, first-served basis. Browse the links above to view practice room schedules. NO ONE is to use a Weigel practice room without making a reservation in advance with Tim Donel at email@example.com.
PIANO Practice Rooms — ONLY piano majors may reserve during sign-up week.
IMPORTANT — The School of Music has a 15-minute rule. If a student does not show up for their scheduled time within 15 minutes, the room is forfeited for that hour and can be used by another student. However, if the student has reserved more than one hour, s/he can reclaim that room at the next hour.
Questions? Email Production Manager Tim Donel at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information —OR— by appointment: Weigel Hall, Room 122 between 10 a.m.–4 p.m. Thursdays and Fridays.
Weigel Hall Smart Labs
The Smart Labs will be unavailable until the swipe card interface has been updated. We will notify students as soon as the labs open.
There are two Smart Music Labs in Weigel Hall that can be accessed with your BuckID. These labs house computers and Smart Music software for students’ use. To gain access to the labs, please email Professor Daryl Kinney at email@example.com with your BuckID number.