Academic Year 2020–2021
In order to use the practice rooms, the following procedures — many for everyone's safety — must be followed.
- In accordance with safety regulations, all practice rooms will ONLY be available by reservation (see below).
- Only ONE person is permitted in a practice room at a time. NO in-person, one-on-one lessons are to be taught in any School of Music practice room.
- Approach the 4th floor of Hughes Hall using the South stairwell (closest to the Oval) to ASCEND.
- Depart the 4th floor of Hughes Hall using the North stairwell (furthest from the Oval) to DESCEND.
- Please reserve use of ALL elevators for those who require it — persons with a disability and those with oversized instruments. Please use the stairs.
- You must exit the practice room after your 45-minute session and let the room "air" for 15 minutes between users. If you are signed up for back-to-back sessions, you need not vacate the practice room.
- Wear your mask at all times — except when playing a wind instrument.
- Wind players — DO NOT release your water valve onto the floor. A supply of paper plates will be available for your use in all practice rooms. Please collect excess water on a plate and dispose of it carefully in the trash container when you leave.
- Do not eat or drink in the practice rooms. WATER ONLY. For safety, do not leave your personal belongings in the room, and take your trash with you when you leave.
- Use the disinfectant wipes provided on each floor before and after your practice session. Wipe doorknobs, light switches, piano keys — all high-touch surfaces. Wash your hands before your next class or before leaving the building.
Hughes Hall Practice Rooms
Practice rooms on the 4th floor of Hughes Hall are available to music majors and are unlocked during regular building hours, unless otherwise noted (see Facilities). Note that buildings are closed during university holidays.
Practice room monitors will be stationed to oversee safety protocols. CHECK IN with the monitor when you arrive; they will confirm your practice session reservation.
Rooms are available ONLY by reservation. Use the link(s) below to make your reservation.
- You may reserve more than one block at a time (maximum 3 time slots per student, per day).
- The schedule will refresh every week.
Hughes Hall Practice Room Reservations
Weigel Hall Instrument and Piano Practice Rooms
Practice rooms on the second floor of Weigel are available by key access ONLY, and may be used only when the building is open (see Facilities). Campus buildings are closed during university holidays.
A $5 cash deposit is due when a key is checked out, and is returned to you with the return of the key. Non-music majors are not allowed to have keys to any of these rooms.
Weigel Practice Room Reservation Guidelines
- Rooms may be reserved for the semester.
- Only music majors may sign up for practice room time.
- Practice times are scheduled in one-hour blocks (45-minute limit practice; vacate the room for 15 minutes to "air" before the next user). If you schedule back-to-back sessions you do not need to air the room between hours; be sure to vacate 15 minutes prior to the end of your scheduled time.
- If you are:
- enrolled for 2 hours of lessons (piano and other) — you may sign up for 7 hours per week of practice time. Non-piano majors may have 5 of those hours between 7 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
- enrolled for 4 hours of lessons (piano and other) — you may sign up for 14 hours per week of practice time. Non-piano majors may have 10 of those hours between 7 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
- a doctoral piano student — you may sign up for an additional 6 hours on weekends.
- a GTA (graduate teaching associate) giving individual instruction, you may sign up two days ahead of everyone else. In an effort to be fair to other students, you must abide by the following guidelines:
- Maximum of 10 practice hours between 7 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
- Maximum of 6 teaching hours between 7 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
- Maximum of 6 hours on weekends
- Maximum of 4 hours in evenings
- Total of no more than 26 hours per week
Weigel Practice Room Reservation Timeline
Practice rooms may be reserved at the beginning of each semester and will be available to the designated student at their assigned time throughout the entire semester. Sign-ups begin Monday during week #2 of each semester. For 2020, reservations will be managed through SignUpGenius beginning Monday, August 31 from 9:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m. and continue each day. Use the links below and sign up according to the seniority schedule, with preference given to piano majors for rooms with grand pianos. Only PIANO MAJORS may reserve piano practice rooms during sign-up week.
Monday — GTA Teaching Hours
Tuesday — GTA and Graduate Student Practice Hours
Wednesday — Seniors
Thursday — Juniors
Friday — Sophomores/Freshmen
Beginning week #3, hours that are not signed out by anyone may be reserved on a first-come, first-served basis.
NO ONE is to use a Weigel practice room without making a reservation in advance with Tim Donel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Instrument Practice Rooms — make reservations with Tim Donel.
Piano Practice Rooms — ONLY piano majors may reserve during sign-up week.
Beginning week #3, non-piano majors may make reservations with Tim Donel.
- IMPORTANT — The School of Music has a 15-minute rule. If a student does not show up for their scheduled time within 15 minutes, the room is forfeited for that hour and can be used by another student. However, if the student has reserved more than one hour, s/he can reclaim that room at the next hour.
Questions? Email Production Manager Tim Donel at email@example.com for more information —OR— by appointment: Weigel Hall, Room 122 between 10 a.m.–4 p.m. Thursdays and Fridays.
Weigel Hall Smart Labs
There are two Smart Music Labs in Weigel Hall that can be accessed with your BuckID. These labs house computers and Smart Music software for students’ use. To gain access to the labs, please e-mail Professor Daryl Kinney at firstname.lastname@example.org with your BuckID number.