Instrument Loan Room — Room N152
Located on the first floor of the Timashev Music Building, on the east side of the Large Ensemble Rehearsal Room, next to the freight elevator.
The School of Music Instrument Room houses a large inventory of orchestral woodwind, brass and string instruments. With instructor permission, these instruments are available at no charge to any current university student participating in School of Music ensembles or classes that require a specific musical instrument for participation.
- A current BuckID is required to start an Instrument Room account.
File a Bond Card
Students wishing to use Instrument Room instruments must file a bond card with the Instrument Room Manager. Bond cards are legally binding documents used to enforce the borrower’s responsibility to return School of Music property to the Instrument Room in its original condition, less the wear of normal use.
Predetermined on each bond card by the instructor and the Instrument Room Manager, there are two categories of instrument use available to students:
- DAILY RETURN USE requires that the borrower returns the instrument to the Instrument Room immediately after each use. Instruments loaned under the Daily Return category are often instruments that are used by multiple students throughout the day. Failure to return a Daily Return instrument may result in revocation of privileges.
- EXCLUSIVE USE involves restricted high-value instruments and can only be authorized by orchestral instrument faculty. Exclusive Use instruments may be stored in the student's personal locker for the duration of the bond card agreement. Students are required to provide insurance coverage for Exclusive Use instruments and must coordinate this process with the Instrument Room Manager, Jim Broadhurst (email@example.com) before taking possession of the instrument.
The Bond Card Process
Students wishing to use Instrument Room instruments must:
- Pick up a blank bond card from the School of Music Instrument Room.
- Contact their class or ensemble instructor to authorize (sign) the bond card. Only School of Music instructors can authorize bond cards.
- Complete the "Borrower" portion of the bond card with a black or blue pen and bring to the Instrument Room for approval by the Instrument Room manager. If approved, the borrower will be issued a wallet-sized loan card to present at the Instrument Room whenever the loaned instrument is needed (Daily Return Use).
- The requirement of instrument insurance will be determined at the discretion of the Instrument Room manager.
Hours of Operation
Currently, the Instrument Room hours are TBA due to a staffing shortage.
Looking for a job? Any current student with a Federal Work Study award for the 2022–2023 academic year and some musical experience may apply to work in the Instrument Room. If interested, email the Instrument Room Manager, Jim Broadhurst at firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
When fully staffed, the Instrument Room hours will be:
Monday–Thursday: 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Friday: 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturday–Sunday: 1 to 5 p.m.
The Instrument Room is closed any day that university offices are closed. Instrument room hours are subject to change during finals weeks, semester breaks and summer sessions.