The Ohio State University choral program is comprised of four choirs; all choirs are open to both music majors and non-music majors. Placement in a choir is by audition only.
Choirs meet at the following times:
- Symphonic Choir — MWF, 1:50–2:45 p.m.
- Women's Glee Club — MWF, 3–3:55 p.m.
- Men's Glee Club — MWF, 4:10–5:05 p.m.
- University Chorus — MW, 5:20–6:10 p.m.
All students are welcome and encouraged to audition for one (or more) of our choral ensembles. Auditions are held during the first week of autumn semester on the third floor of Weigel Hall, rooms 314–316. Please plan to arrive 10 minutes prior to your selected slot.
Students intending to audition for a particular ensemble should sign up for a time slot with the associated conductor (for example, if you wish to audition for Men's Glee Club, you must sign up for a slot with Dr. Ward).
- If you are a non-music major and not certain about which ensemble is most appropriate for you, sign up for a slot with Dr. Ward.
- Voice majors, sign up for a slot with Dr. Robert Bode.
Prior to audition week, complete both an audition form and a sign-up form.
1. Sign-up information (required)
2. Audition form (required)
What to Expect
Be prepared to perform the following:
- Scales and short melodies — to test range and demonstrate voice quality
- Sing an unaccompanied melody — a patriotic tune or hymn tune (words provided)
- Melodic retention exercise — sing back short melodic patterns
- Rhythmic exercise — clap or sing rhythmic patterns in common meters
- Sight reading — both rhythms and pitches
Voice majors will also need to sing a prepared solo (pianist will be provided). repertoire shold be indicative of what you have most recently studied in your voice lessons.
For more information about choral ensembles, please email Dr. Robert Ward or call 614-292-4622.
Return to Choral Ensembles