The Ohio State University choral program is comprised of four choirs; all choirs are open to both music majors and non-music majors. Placement in a choir is by audition only.
Choirs meet at the following times:
- Symphonic Choir — MWF, 1:50–2:45 p.m.
- Women's Glee Club — MWF, 3–3:55 p.m.
- Men's Glee Club — MWF, 4:10–5:05 p.m.
- University Chorus — MW, 5:20–6:10 p.m.
All students are welcome and encouraged to audition for one of our choral ensembles. Auditions are held during the first week of autumn semester on the third floor of Weigel Hall, rooms 314–316, unless otherwise noted. Please plan to arrive 15 minutes prior to your selected slot.
General auditions will be held Monday, Aug. 20–Thursday, Aug. 24 from 9 a.m.–5 p.m. Voice major auditions will be held on Monday and Wednesday from 1:30–4:10 p.m.
Students intending to audition for a particular ensemble should sign up for a time slot with the associated conductor (for example, if you wish to audition for Symphonic Choir, you must sign up for a slot with Dr. Caswell-MacMullen).
- If you are a non-music major and not certain about which ensemble is most appropriate for you, sign up for a slot with either conductor.
- Voice majors must audition for both Dr. Ward and Dr. Caswell-MacMullen.+
Prior to audition week, complete both the audition form and the sign-up form via the following links:
What to Expect
Be prepared to perform the following:
- Scales and short melodies — to test range and demonstrate voice quality
- Sing an unaccompanied melody — a patriotic tune or hymn tune (words provided)
- Melodic retention exercise — sing back short melodic patterns
- Rhythmic exercise — clap or sing rhythmic patterns in common meters
- Sight reading — both rhythms and pitches
+ Voice majors will also need to sing a prepared solo (pianist will be provided).
For more information about choral groups, please email Dr. Robert Ward or call 614-292-4622.
All questions regarding Women's Glee Club should be directed to Dr. Kristina MacMullen at firstname.lastname@example.org or 614-292-9926.