A Brief History
The Men’s Glee Club at Ohio State was organized in 1875. It is the oldest of hundreds of student organizations available to students at the university. The group has exemplified the university’s dedication to tradition, excellence and diversity.
During its history, the Men's Glee Club has garnered worldwide accolades. Most notably, the group was unanimously declared “Choir of the World” in 1990 under the direction of Professor James Gallagher in Llangollen, Wales. The Men's Glee Club was the first male chorus and the first ensemble from the United States to win the competition.
In the past decade the MGC has represented The Ohio State University and the School of Music at numerous events. Notable among these appearances include concerts with the University Glee Club of NYC at the Lincoln Center, convention concerts for the Central Division of the American Choral Directors Association (2014, 2010), Ohio Music Educators Association (2012), Ohio Choral Directors Association (2007), and national seminars of the Intercollegiate Male Choruses (2014, 2012, 2010, 2006).
The Men's Glee Club at Ohio State is a diverse organization, and consists of mostly non-music majors. Each year we invite anyone who wishes to audition to come and try out for the oldest organization on campus.
Men's Glee Club meets every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 4:10-5:05 p.m., with many extra required activities through the year. To add Men's Glee Club as a course in your schedule, search for MUSIC 2203.04 using Student Center (buckeyelink.osu.edu). The course may be addded without auditioning, but admission to the group still depends on your successful audition. MUSIC 2203.04 is also a variable credit course, which allows you to add the course for a variable number of credit hours (0.5–2.0). Please direct any questions about variable credit to your academic counselor.
Auditions for the "lighter fare" a cappella group, Statesmen, are held at the beginning of each school year. Rehearsals are held Tuesday and Sunday evenings. Details for Statesmen auditions are released in the first few weeks of Men's Glee Club rehearsal. Membership requires enrollment in Men's Glee, and also offers its own course enrollment.
- Haec est dies—Jacob Gallus
- Laudate nomen ejus—Nancy Hill Cobb
- “Ramkail”—Ethan Sperry
- Im Gegenwartigen Vergangenes—Franz Schubert
- Laulja—Veljo Tormis
- O wüsst’ ich doch den Weg züruck—Johannes Brahms
- “Cry Out and Shout”—Knut Nystedt
- Love was My Lord and King ("A Sentinel" / "Crossing the Bar")—Gwyneth Walker
- Songs of a Young Man ("When I was One-and-Twenty" / "Loveliest of Trees, the Cherry Now")—Richard Nance
- “Posente amormi chiama” from Rigoletto—Giuseppe Verdi
- Mass in C—Ludwig van Beethoven
- Rhapsody, Op. 53—Johannes Brahms
- Der Herr ist mein Licht und mein Heil—Heinrich Schütz
- Unter Dayne Vayse Shtern—Brant Adams
- "Farther Sail"—Eric Helmuth
- Laudate Dominum—Marc-Antoine Charpentier
- "Didn't My Lord Deliver Daniel?"—Aaron Dale
- "Hark, I Hear the Harps Eternal"—Craig Carnahan
- Invictus—Nancy Hill Cobb
- "Songs of the Big Ten"—arr. Tim Sarsany
- Requiem—Giuseppe Verdi
- "Kyrie" from Tres Styken für Manskor—Sven David Sandstrom
- "A Jubilant Gloria"—Robert Seeley
- "The Skyes over Israel"—Robert Seeley