Saturday, March 25, 2023
9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
As part of the 46th Annual Ohio State Jazz Festival (March 22–26), high school jazz bands of all ability levels are invited to attend High School Jazz Band Day.
Bands will present a 15-minute performance. Each band will receive written constructive feedback from Jazz Studies faculty and festival artists as well as a brief private clinic following their performance. Recognition awards will include outstanding soloist and outstanding section from each band, and more.
Eligibility and Fees
High school jazz bands of all ability levels are welcome.
- $100 per jazz combo (up to 9 performers)
- $200 per big band (10 or more performers)
Registration and Payment
DEADLINE — February 13
Shortly after the registration deadline, directors will receive a welcome email detailing attendance on March 25. Instructions will include drop-off/pickup instructions, bus and car parking, instrument storage, places to eat, the event schedule and more.
INSTRUMENTS AND EQUIPMENT
What we provide:
The School of Music will provide the following equipment:
- Drum set and cymbals
- Bass and guitar amplifiers
- If you need additional equipment, please contact us. We will do our best to accommodate your needs.
Remember to bring:
In addition to all instruments and equipment not listed above, please remember to bring:
- Drum sticks
- Bass and guitar patch cords
- NOTE: do not bring saxophone fronts
Band directors, students and parents are invited to stay for the day to listen to performances of other school bands. You might also like to stay in the campus area for dinner and then return for the 8 p.m. headliner concert featuring the Ohio State Jazz Ensemble with guest vocalist Carmen Bradford.
All are invited to attend events of the 46th Annual Ohio State Jazz Festival. All events are FREE.
- March 22 at 8 p.m. — Jazz Club Night with guest artists Steven Feifke, piano and Alexa Tarantino, saxophone
- March 23 at 8 p.m. — College Night with Ohio State Combos, Jazz Lab and Jazz Workshop Big Bands
- March 24 at 8 p.m. — Ohio Jaztet featuring guest vocalist Carmen Bradford
- March 25 at 8 p.m. — Ohio State Jazz Ensemble featuring headliner artist Carmen Bradford
- March 26 — Jazz Band Director Clinics (12–4 p.m.); concert with the Ohio State Gospel Choir and the Ohio Show Band, featuring guest artist Dave Powers (6 p.m.)