Saturday, March 26, 2022
10:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.
As part of the 45th Annual Ohio State Jazz Festival (March 23–27), high school jazz bands of all ability levels are invited to attend High School Jazz Band Day.
Bands will present a 15-minute performance. Each band will receive written constructive feedback from Jazz Studies faculty and festival artists as well as a brief private clinic following their performance. Recognition awards will include outstanding soloist and outstanding section from each band, and more.
Eligibility and Fees
High school jazz bands of all ability levels are welcome.
- $100 per jazz combo (up to 9 performers)
- $200 per big band (10 or more performers)
Registration and Payment
DEADLINE — Monday, March 7
School jazz band directors: Combo and big band registration are closed.
Shortly after the registration deadline, directors will receive a welcome email detailing attendance on March 26. Instructions will include drop-off/pickup instructions, bus and car parking, instrument storage, places to eat, the event schedule and more.
INSTRUMENTS AND EQUIPMENT
What we provide:
The School of Music will provide the following equipment:
- Drum set and cymbals
- Bass and guitar amplifiers
- If you need additional equipment, please contact us. We will do our best to accommodate your needs.
Remember to bring:
In addition to all instruments and equipment not listed above, please remember to bring:
- Drum sticks
- Bass and guitar patch cords
- NOTE: do not bring saxophone fronts
Band directors, students and parents are invited to stay for the day to listen to performances of other school bands. You might also like to stay in the campus area for dinner and then return for the 8 p.m. headliner concert featuring the Ohio State Jazz Ensemble with guest artist Byron Stripling.
All are invited to attend events of the 45th Annual Ohio State Jazz Festival. All events are FREE.
- March 23 at 8 p.m. — Jazz Club Night with guest artist Jackie Warren
- March 24 at 8 p.m. — College Night with Ohio State Combos, Jazz Lab and Jazz Workshop Big Bands
- March 25 at 8 p.m. — Ohio Jaztet featuring guest artist Hamilton Hardin
- March 26 at 8 p.m. — Ohio State Jazz Ensemble featuring guest artist Dwight Adams; music of John Clayton and Dr. Doug Pierce
- March 27 — Jazz Clinics (afternoon) and the Ohio Show Band featuring guests Imani-Grace Cooper, DeMeeshia Marshall and Dave Powers (6 p.m.)
Additional details about the 45th Annual Jazz Festival are available at music.osu.edu/events.
Effective March 11, masks are optional on campus. They are still required in health settings and on campus transportation.