Friday, Oct. 8, 2021 (on campus) or
Saturday, Oct. 9, 2021 (via Zoom)
Each October, the School of Music invites high school juniors and seniors to take part in a special “Practice Audition Day.” Students considering music as a major in college are encouraged to take this opportunity to meet Ohio State faculty and administrators, participate in studio classes, and have a practice audition evaluated by faculty. Other topics covered during Practice Audition Day will include the following:
- The Ohio State and School of Music admissions process
- Financial aid and scholarships
- Tips on auditioning and playing in public
- Preparing for college music theory
- The Music Education program at Ohio State
NEW for 2021 — Two options are available for participation!
IN PERSON — Friday, Oct. 8 • 8 a.m.–4 p.m.
A visit to campus is the best way to experience the School of Music at Ohio State. This in-person event will allow participants to view our facilities and observe classes or rehearsals, in addition to attending informational sessions.
VIRTUAL — Saturday, Oct. 9 • 10 a.m. Eastern Time
For students who are unable to miss school or who live far from Columbus, Ohio, we have planned a virtual experience. Students (and parents) will learn about the School of Music, meet faculty and current students, and will have a live virtual practice audition with studio faculty via Zoom.
In Person — Friday
- 8–9 a.m. — Check-in
- 9–10 a.m. — Welcome/Admissions and Financial Aid presentation
- 10:10–11:15 — Q & A for parents/audition tips for students
- 11:30–12:30 — Meet the faculty
- 12:30–1:30 — Lunch and warm-up
- 1:30–3 p.m. Practice auditions
- Optional Activities
- 1:50–5 p.m. — Observe ensembles (schedule and locations will be provided)
- 3 p.m. — Preparing for college music theory; Music Education session
Virtual — Saturday
- 10–10:20 a.m. — School of Music and Admissions overview
- 10:20–10:30 — Music Education overview
- 10:30–10:40 — How to Prepare for Music Theory
- 10:45–11 a.m. — Studio faculty breakout rooms
- 11–11:15 — Ensembles overview
- 11:15–11:30 — Q&A session
- 11:30–12 noon — BREAK
- 12–2 p.m. — Practice auditions
Students should prepare 5–10 minutes of music for their practice audition. Refer to Audition Requirements.
Vocalists attending in person on Friday, Oct. 8 will be provided an accompanist and should bring their piano scores. Vocalists who are participating virtually on Saturday, Oct. 9 will need to sing in real time with a pre-recorded accompaniment as detailed in the Audition Requirements for virtual auditions. Instrumentalists should be prepared to perform without an accompanist.
Practice Audition Day is a free event, but registration is required.
Registration will open here in July.
Deadline — Friday, October 1
Please note — we are unable to accommodate school ensembles or field trips. This day is designed for individual students considering majoring in music in college.