Friday, Oct. 8, 2021 (on campus) or
Saturday, Oct. 9, 2021 (via Zoom)
As university health and safety protocols evolve, concerts and details are subject to change.
Each October, the School of Music invites high school juniors and seniors to take part in a special “Practice Audition Day.” Students considering music as a major in college are encouraged to take this opportunity to meet Ohio State faculty and students, observe classes, learn about the new Timashev Family Music Building (opening Autumn 2022) and have a practice audition evaluated by faculty. Other topics will include:
- The Ohio State and School of Music admissions process
- Financial aid and scholarships
- Tips on auditioning and playing in public
- Preparing for college music theory
- The Music Education program at Ohio State
NEW for 2021 — Two options for participation!
IN PERSON — Friday, Oct. 8 • 8 a.m.–4 p.m.
A visit to campus is the best way to experience the School of Music at Ohio State. This in-person event will allow participants to view our facilities and observe classes or rehearsals, in addition to attending informational sessions.
Per University COVID-19 safety protocols, all faculty, students, staff and visitors to Ohio State campuses are required to wear masks indoors, regardless of their vaccination status. Additional protocols for visiting musicians — COVID-19 Policies and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for Musicians
VIRTUAL — Saturday, Oct. 9 • 10 a.m. Eastern Time
For students who are unable to miss school or who live far from Columbus, we have planned a virtual experience. Students (and parents) will learn about the School of Music, meet faculty and current students, and will have a live virtual practice audition with studio faculty via Zoom.
This is a free event, but registration is required. For inquiries email Tanya Sparks.
DEADLINE: Friday, October 1
In Person — Friday
- 8–9 a.m. — Check-in
- 9–10 a.m. — Welcome/Admissions and Financial Aid presentation
- 10:10–11:15 — Q & A for parents/audition tips for students
- 11:30–12:30 — Meet the faculty
- 12:30–1:30 — Lunch and warm-up
- 1:30–3 p.m. Practice auditions
- Optional Activities
- 1:50–5 p.m. — Observe ensembles (schedule and locations will be provided)
- 3 p.m. — Preparing for college music theory; Music Education session
Virtual — Saturday
- 10–10:20 a.m. — School of Music and Admissions overview
- 10:20–10:30 — Music Education overview
- 10:30–10:40 — How to Prepare for Music Theory
- 10:45–11 a.m. — Studio faculty breakout rooms
- 11–11:15 — Ensembles overview
- 11:15–11:30 — Q&A session
- 11:30–12 noon — BREAK
- 12–2 p.m. — Practice auditions
Students should prepare 5–10 minutes of music for their practice audition. Refer to Audition Requirements.
Vocalists attending in person on Friday, Oct. 8 will be provided an accompanist and should bring their piano scores. Vocalists who are participating virtually on Saturday, Oct. 9 will need to sing in real time with a pre-recorded accompaniment as detailed in the Audition Requirements for virtual auditions. Instrumentalists should be prepared to perform without an accompanist.