Bachelor of Science in Music:
Computer Sciences • Sonic Arts • Creative Practice, Business and Technology
NOTE — If you are applying for a degree program in Composition, Jazz Studies, Liberal Arts in Music, Music Education, Musicology, Performance or Theory, please RETURN to Undergraduates — How to Apply.
For Academic Year 2024–2025
Step 1: Know the Deadlines — BS
- Early Action: November 1, 2023 (must apply by Nov. 1 for merit scholarship consideration)
- Regular Decision: February 1, 2024
School of Music Acceptd ® Application – February 1, 2024
Note: If you are planning to take the optional audition, your music application is due two weeks prior to the chosen audition date.
Step 2: Apply to The Ohio State University
- Apply by November 1 if you wish to be considered for most university merit scholarships.
- Visit Undergraduate Cost + Aid for more information on university financial aid and scholarships.
2. Apply to the university for academic year 2024–2025:
Step 3: Apply to the School of Music
1. Review the application materials that are required for each track of the Bachelor of Science in Music and have them prepared to upload prior to submitting your application.
2. Apply to the School of Music via Acceptd®:
- There is an $18 student application fee. (To see if you qualify for an Acceptd® fee waiver, visit Acceptd Support.)
- If you are not taking the optional audition, the application is due February 1, 2023. If adding the optional audition, your application should be submitted by January 27, 2024, OR two weeks prior to your chosen audition date, whichever comes first.
Apply to the School for academic year 2024–2025:
Step 4 (Optional): Schedule Your Audition
The audition process is an option for the Sonic Arts and the Creative Practice, Business and Technology tracks of the Bachelor of Science degree. It is required for the Computer Science track IF you do not submit a composition. See Required Application Materials.
Taking an audition is required if you also wish to be considered for other degree programs within the School of Music (Performance, Music Education, Composition, Musicology, Bachelor of Arts in Music).
1. If you choose to perform a live audition, you will be asked to select an audition date as a part of the application process. Note that if you are unable to attend one of these dates and opt to submit a recorded audition with your application, the deadline is February 1.
Audition dates for admission in the 2024–2025 academic year:
- Saturday, Dec. 2, 2023
- Saturday, Jan. 20, 2024
- Saturday, Feb. 10, 2024
2. You must prepare your audition according to the requirements for your instrument. Refer to Audition Requirements.
Theory Placement Exam
The Theory Placement Exam (TPE) is administered to determine whether a student’s prior study has sufficiently prepared them for Theory I, and will help to inform the scheduling process. The exam covers basic notation, scales, key signatures, rhythm and chords.
The TPE will be administered online to students that have committed to Ohio State and paid their acceptance fee in late spring, prior to Summer Orientation and registering for classes.
Scholarships and Financial Aid
Visit these sites for information about merit-based or need-based scholarships that may be offered by the university.
- Visit Undergraduate Admissions/Scholarships for details about academic scholarships.
- Visit Types of Aid for Incoming Freshmen for more information about financial aid options, eligibility criteria and deadlines.
Image credit: Alfredo Hernandez — Flaticon