Concert Attendance Opportunities
The School of Music celebrates the wide array of musical traditions, genres, and styles performed throughout our university and the Columbus arts community.
Students are encouraged to attend performances and scholarly presentations by peers and faculty.
- Attend School of Music events regularly. Refer to the Event Calendar for performances by student ensembles, faculty and guest artists, the Lectures in Musicology Series and other events.
- Expand beyond music. Attend presentations by your peers in the Department of Dance, and Department of Theatre, Film and Media Arts.
- #ColumbusMakesArt. Many of our Columbus arts partners offer student ticket prices. See below.
- Listen to WOSU Classical 101 daily.
Opportunities and Student Discount Ticket Offers
Welcome to Columbus, where access to a rich and dynamic arts scene is just one of the many benefits of attending Ohio State. Get to know our major (and not-so-major) music, dance and theatre organizations. Enjoy performances in venues ranging from historic turn-of-the-century theaters and concert halls to galleries, coffee shops, and open-air settings. Take advantage of the wide variety of engaging and creative programming these organizations offer.
Most arts organizations offer deeply discounted student prices. Some sell via D-Tix, at the Ohio Union — partially funded by your Student Activity Fee.
Each organization has its own Student Ticket policy. Reference the information below, but be sure to visit the organization's website to confirm the latest ticket prices and policies.
Chamber Music Columbus — Experience a wide range of musical talent and repertoire including Meta4, Academy of St. Martin in the Fields Chamber Ensemble, Isidore String Quartet, and Chanticleer during Chamber Music Columbus' 76th season. Founded by Ohio State student James N. Cain in 1948, celebrate world-class chamber music at the beautiful Southern Theatre.
- $7 Tickets are available through D-Tix at the Ohio Union.
Columbus Jazz Orchestra — Celebrating our 50th Anniversary Season, under the direction of renowned trumpeter, Byron Stripling. Join the celebration — with amazing guest artists, speakers, events and concerts, you do not want to miss out!
- Jazz at the Southern Theatre Series — Student Rush Tickets are just $15 and can be purchased at the Southern Theatre box office the night of a performance, all you need is your student ID!
- Lincoln Theatre Series: dedicated to up and coming jazz performers, featuring stars of the Jazz Academy, an education initiative by the Jazz Arts Group to promote jazz education in Columbus.
- Student Rush Tickets for the Jazz at the Lincoln series are just $12 at the Lincoln Theatre box office with your student ID.
- Lincoln Theatre, 769 E. Long St., Columbus 43203
Students who purchase a $25 annual membership will receive free admission for one to all Masterworks concerts and post-concert events all season long, special membership emails, and the ability to purchase up to four additional student tickets for $8 each. Ticket purchase details.
Opera Columbus — Gone are the days of formality and unspoken rules. We are creating an open, innovative, fun, and unexpected form of entertainment that reflects the young, vibrant and diverse city in which we live and play. At Opera Columbus we’re out to refresh – to breathe new life – into the way opera is performed and presented. Tweet, hoot, clap, and enjoy the show in your own personal way. Dress as you like and express your pleasure without the restrictions of traditional propriety. Go ahead, no one here will judge you. MAKE IT YOURS.
- Tickets are available through D-Tix at the Ohio Union.
- OC performances are presented in several different theaters. Be mindful of the theatre for each production.
ProMusica Chamber Orchestra — ProMusica is 37 musicians from all over the country who are redefining what it means to be a chamber orchestra. Led by Music Director David Danzmayr and Creative Partner, renowned violinist Vadim Gluzman, our vision is to engage, inspire, and connect people to the world around them through the joy of ProMusica. The orchestra both honors the classical traditions and champions the contemporary, with a deep commitment to new works, commissions and premieres.
- Enjoy a world-class chamber orchestra experience for only $12 (student ID required for college/university students)
- Snag some of the best seats available at time of purchase!
- Student tickets are available by calling the ProMusica Box Office at 614-464-0066 ext. 101, online at Ticketmaster.com (service fees will apply), or at the door the night of the concert.
- Limit two tickets per student ID. Valid only for regular season performances. Excludes special events. Seating is subject to overall availability.
- Interested in being a student volunteer? Email Carolyn at CJakubczak@promusicacolumbus.org for more information.
Other groups to watch:
- Chamber Brews
- Early Music in Columbus
- Columbus Ohio Discovery Ensemble
- Short North Stage
- and many more.
[pdf] — A link on this page is to a PDF file requiring Adobe Reader. If you need it in a more accessible format, please contact us.