All Majors Welcome!
Play with the Ohio State Symphony Orchestra
Spring Semester 2018
The School of Music announces openings for Violin I and Violin II. We are seeking Ohio State undergraduate and graduate students who are experienced orchestral violinists. You need not be a music major to participate!
Professor David E. Becker, conductor
JOIN US for the opportunity to play iconic repertoire:
- 41st Ohio State Jazz Festival – a Charlie Parker tribute concert
- Leonard Bernstein’s musical CANDIDE
- Rossini’s William Tell Overture
- Copland’s Lincoln Portrait
- Mussorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition
First rehearsal: Tuesday, January 9, 2018
- Full orchestra—Tuesday & Thursday • 1:50 – 3:55 p.m. • Weigel Hall Auditorium
- Strings only—Friday • 1:50 – 3:55 p.m. • Hughes Hall, room 109
- Some rehearsal flexibility is possible to resolve minor class conflicts. Consult with the director
- Undergraduate Course - Music 2215.01
- Graduate Course - Music 7215.01
Variable credit hours available, between .5 and 2, to avoid exceeding 18 hours per semester
Auditions for Spring Semester
An individual audition can be arranged to fit your schedule anytime between November 6–20, 2017. The audition will take approximately 20 minutes.
Email Professor Becker at email@example.com to arrange an audition time. Provide in your email a list of your high school and/or undergraduate orchestral experience.
Location: 213 Weigel Hall, 1866 College Rd.
- Prepare a solo work that best demonstrates your technical and artistic proficiency.
- You will be asked to sight-read excerpts from the third movement of Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 6.
Come hear the Ohio State Symphony Orchestra at their next concert on Thursday, Nov. 16 at 8 p.m. in Weigel Auditorium. FREE and open to the public.