Saturday, May 12, 2018
10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
The Ohio State keyboard faculty is pleased to present our second annual Piano Day. This year, workshops will divide into small groups of 4–5 students gathering around the piano to explore solutions to technical and musical challenges including solo piano music, piano technique, practice tips and communication, as well as duet and vocal/instrumental collaborative classes. A full day of activities is planned, 9:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Early registration is encouraged, as we had a large turnout at last year's Piano Day.
Eligibility: For pianists in grades 9 – 12 and keyboard teachers.
Program fee (students): $35, includes instruction and lunch.
Program director: Professor Steven Glaser (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Piano Day 2018 Sessions
- Steven Glaser and Caroline Hong (separate sessions) — "Troubleshooting Problems in Your Pieces." Musical and technical ideas to overcome your frustrations. Choose two examples from your pieces that are problematic and we’ll try to figure out a solution.
- Maria Staeblein — “Duos.” Exploring duos for pianists — at the piano. This will be fun!
- Ed Bak — "Sharing the Stage with a Singer." Topics include achieving an ideal balance with the singer, understanding breath and phrasing, using linguistic cues as a tool for good ensemble, and proper stage etiquette.
- Ryan Behan — "Liszt: the Pianist and Composer." Dr. Behan will discuss and perform works of Franz Liszt, the poet and the virtuoso.
- Ken Williams — "Piano with a Partner." Interactive workshop using the group piano lab.
- Lynn Singleton — “Imagine That.” This session will involve using imagery (ideokinesis) to increase body awareness, improve posture and reduce tension.
Deadline extended to Monday, May 7, 2018
Registration for Piano Day consists of three steps.
Step One—Register online. Complete the Student Registration -OR- Keyboard Teacher Registration via link below.
After submitting an online registration, you will immediately receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive it, one of three things has happened:
- The email address you entered on your form may be incorrect
- The confirmation email was sent to your SPAM box
- The online registration was not received by our system
If you do not find the confirmation email in your SPAM box or within two hours of submitting a registration, contact the Piano Day registrar.
Step Two—Payment (student attendees). Pay the participation fee online according to the instructions contained in your registration confirmation email. You will then receive an email confirming your online payment.
If you choose to pay with a check or money order (made payable to "The Ohio State University"), mail payment to the School of Music at the address below. Print participant's name on the Memo line of the check. You will receive confirmation by email within 7 – 10 business days.
The Ohio State University School of Music
ATTN: Piano Day Registrar — Eva Chang
110 Weigel Hall
1866 College Rd.
Columbus, OH 43210
Step Three—Required forms (student attendees). Parents or guardians are required to print out, complete, sign and send the following forms:
Mail the completed and signed forms to the address above, or scan and email them to the Piano Day registrar.
Payment and forms are due by Monday, May 7, 2018.
You will receive a welcome email with further instructions about program attendance two weeks before the event.
Visit and Share Piano Day on Facebook.
Meet the Keyboard Faculty
Steven Glaser, Professor and Area Head (piano and chamber music)
Caroline Hong, Associate Professor (piano and chamber music)
Ed Bak, Assistant Professor (collaborative)
Maria Staeblein, Lecturer (collaborative)
Ken Williams, Associate Professor (pedagogy and group piano)
Ryan Behan, Lecturer (collaborative)
Lynn Singleton, Lecturer (wellness and group piano)
Visit the School of Music
For questions regarding program details, contact the program director, Professor Steven Glaser.
[pdf]—Some links on this page are to Adobe .pdf files requiring Adobe Reader. If you need them in a more accessible format, contact us.