Sunday – Friday, July 10 – 15
Sunday 2–6 p.m. and
Monday–Friday 8:30 am.–3:30 p.m. daily
Registration is OPEN below.
The Middle School Concert Band Academy is specifically designed for middle-level concert band musicians to enrich their understanding of music in an enjoyable, non-competitive and positive week-long program. In addition to rehearsals in the large ensemble, students will take part in instrument-specific master classes, as well as choose two electives (Improv, Jazz Introduction, World Drumming, Ukelele). The program will conclude with a band performance that is free and open to the public.
- Morning music FUNdamentals
- Ensemble and sectional rehearsals led by experienced staff
- Varied, engaging repertoire
- Daily elective activities: Improvisation, Jazz Intro, World Drumming, Ukelele
- Finale concert
You will be asked to indicate elective preferences on the registration form.
- Improvisation for All — Open to all students regardless of instrument and experience. Instrumental musicians have been improvising for hundreds of years…well before the advent of jazz. Provides skills in both group and individual improvisation through an explorative and highly creative elective. Students will use their own instruments for this elective.
- Jazz Intro — Open to all students regardless of instrument and experience. Provides an introduction to jazz band for students interested in knowing more about this rich American art form. Students will use their own instruments for this elective.
- Ukulele — Open to all students regardless of instrument and experience. Explores and provides skills on this popular instrument within the guitar family…with historical ties to Hawaii and Portugal. Ukuleles are provided.
- World Drumming — Open to all students regardless of instrument and experience. Explores hand drumming traditions from around the world with all students engaged in “hands-on” experiences. Percussion instruments are provided.
Daily Schedule Overview
The Middle School Concert Band Academy will begin with orientation sessions and seating auditions.
- Sunday — Woodwind/percussion orientation, 2 – 4 p.m.; brass orientation 4 – 6 p.m.
- Monday–Friday — 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. This daily schedule is firm. We are unable to provide supervision prior to or after the program ends each day.
- The finale concert on July 15 (4 p.m.) is free and open to the public.
ELIGIBILITY — For students entering grades 6–9 in the 2022–2023 school year. All participants must have at least one year of playing experience.
FEE — $295: Tuition and T-shirt. No meals. Students will bring a bag lunch each day.
PROCESS and DEADLINES — You will be required to make payment via credit card at the time of registration. Shortly after submitting payment, you will receive an email receipt.
- Full registration deadline — Wednesday, June 15
- Limited registration deadline — Wednesday, July 6
(T-shirt may not be available)
MAXIMUM ENROLLMENT — 100
NOTE — The registration/payment form works best on a computer (PC or Mac). MAC USERS — use Chrome, not Safari.
PARTICIPATION DETAILS — Approximately three weeks prior to the start of the program, participants will receive details about what to pack, arrival, parking, check-in, the daily schedule and more. Parents/Guardians and participants will also receive permission forms via DocuSign. All forms must be returned by the deadline indicated in order to participate.