June 10 – 26, 2019
Steinbrenner Band Center, Ohio Stadium • Gate 10 at Ohio Stadium
This daily workshop (Mon. – Fri., 9 a.m. – 12 noon) offers two weeks of motivational hands-on training in technique and aural skill development, participation in chamber music ensembles, and large orchestra rehearsals in a fun, non-competitive atmosphere. While this workshop is designed to meet the needs of students from various training styles, all students should have at least one year of playing experience.
Program director: Professor Robert Gillespie
- Instrument-specific technique development and creative ear training designed for different experience levels
- Daily small-group chamber ensemble coaching
- Four orchestras grouped by skill level
- Large teaching staff allowing for more individualized instruction
- Opportunity to play with other string students from central Ohio
- Monday, June 10–Tuesday, June 25 (Mon. – Fri., 9 a.m. – 12 noon). This daily schdule is firm. We are unable to provide supervision prior to or after the program ends each day.
- The dress rehearsal will take place in Weigel Hall on main campus the morning of Wednesday, June 26.
- Finale concert will be held Wednesday, June 26 at 7 p.m. in Weigel Hall Auditorium, 1866 College Rd. Directions and Parking
- Full registration deadline: May 22, 2019
- Limited registration deadline: June 5, 2019
Registrations completed by the Full registration deadline (online registration, and receipt of tuition payment and completed forms) will include all resources of the program (tuition, T-shirt). After that deadline, all submitted registrations are considered Limited which may mean that some resources are not available (program capacity, T-shirt). Be reminded that programs do sometimes fill to capacity prior to the Full registration deadline.
This program traditionally reaches capacity before the deadline. We will accept the first 100 students who have registered, paid and submitted required forms.
Program registration consists of three steps:
After submitting an online registration, you will immediately receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive it, one of three things has happened:
- The email address you entered on your form may be incorrect
- The confirmation email was sent to your SPAM box
- The online registration was not received by our system
If you do not receive the confirmation email within two hours of submitting a registration, contact the Youth Summer Music Programs registrar for further instructions.
Step Two—Payment. Pay the participation fee online according to the instructions contained in your registration confirmation email. You will then see a "Checkout complete" screen acknowledging that your payment is in process, and an order number. Keep this number for your records.
If you choose to pay with a check or money order (made payable to "The Ohio State University"), mail payment to the School of Music at the address below. You will receive confirmation by email within 7 – 10 business days.
The Ohio State University School of Music
ATTN: Morning String Student Workshop—YSMP Registrar
110 Weigel Hall
1866 College Rd.
Columbus, OH 43210
Refund Policy. All but $100 of your fee will be refunded prior to the porgram's registration deadline. Refunds after the deadline are made at the discretion of the program director.
Step Three - Required forms. Parents or guardians are required to print out, complete, sign and send the following forms:
Mail the completed and signed forms to the address above, or scan and email them to the YSMP registrar.
You will receive a welcome email with further instructions about program attendance approximately two weeks before the event.
- Visit Youth Summer Music Programs Frequently Asked Questions.
- For questions regarding the Morning Strings curriculum, contact Robert Gillespie at email@example.com or call 614-292-2336.
- For questions or concerns about registration or payment procedures, email the Youth Summer Music Programs registrar.
[pdf]—Some links on this page are to Adobe .pdf files requiring Adobe Reader. If you need them in a more accessible format, contact us.