Saturday, November 10, 2018
Weigel Hall • 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Check-in 8:30–9 a.m.
Calling ALL middle school and high school bassists! Join us on campus for Bass Day, featuring Ohio State's new bass instructor Barry Green (formerly principal bassist of the Cincinnati Symphony and executive director of the International Society of Bassists) and guest artist Andrés Martín (brilliant and talented composer/bassist from Argentina, solo bassist and composer-in-residence at Orchestra de Baja California, Mexico), plus Columbus-area professional bass teacher/artists including Ohio State bass professor emeritus Paul Robinson, jazz/classical bassists Doug Richeson, Mike Brosius and Douglas Wright.
ELIGIBILITY: Double bass players in grades 6–12 with at least one year of experience in school ensembles. Intermediate and advanced tracks are offered. Minimum requirements are as follows:
- GROUP A: Advanced Beginner and/or Intermediate (grade 6 minimum): has played at least one year in a school music program; is able to read ensemble music with the bow and play up to D natural on the G string of the bass.
- GROUP B: Advanced Intermediate: in addition to the above requirements, is able to read up to first G octave on G string of the bass.
- GROUP C: Advanced: in addition to the above requirements, has studied solo bass music; is able to read treble clef; plays in all registers (including thumb position); has played in regional, Columbus or all-state orchestras and/or currently takes private bass lessons.
Program fee: $25 (includes lunch)
- All students will be introduced to rhythmic, vocal, movement and improvisation techniques applicable to playing the bass.
- Large-ensemble bass orchestra (intermediate and advanced)
- Small-group sessions on elective topics.
- Bass fundamentals for intermediate playing as well as more mature technique concepts for advanced players.
- Advanced bassists will have the opportunity to play solo bass literature and/or orchestra excerpts in a master class with guest clinicians.
- FINALE CONCERT at 5 p.m. featuring all participants, the Columbus Bass Band featuring our clinician artists, and a duo performance by Andrés Martín and Barry Green.
- Families and the general public are invited to attend this free concert.
Registration must be completed, and all required forms and payment (Steps Two and Three below) must be submitted by FRIDAY, NOV. 9. If registering this week, we recommend that you pay by credit card online and scan and email all forms.
Program registration consists of three steps:
Step One—Registration. Complete an online registration.
After submitting an online registration, you will immediately receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive it, one of three things has happened:
- The email address you entered on your form may be incorrect
- The confirmation email was sent to your SPAM box
- The online registration was not received by our system
If you do not receive the confirmation email within two hours of submitting a registration, contact the Bass Day registrar for further instructions.
Step Two — Payment.
To complete the registration process, your payment ($25) must be received. Pay the participation fee online according to the instructions contained in your registration confirmation email. You will then see a "Checkout complete" screen acknowledging that your payment is in process, and an order number.
If you choose to pay by check (made payable to "The Ohio State University"), mail to the School of Music at the address below. You will receive confirmation by email within 7–10 business days.
The Ohio State University School of Music
ATTN: Bass Day Registrar
110 Weigel Hall
1866 College Rd.
Columbus, OH 43210
Step Three—Required forms. Parents or guardians are required to print out, complete, sign and send the following forms:
- Parental Permission Form for Bass Day [pdf]
- Ohio State Photo Release Form [pdf]
- Standards of Behavior Form [pdf]
Mail the completed and signed forms to the address above, or scan and email them to the Bass Day registrar.
You will receive a welcome email with further instructions about program attendance approximately two weeks before the event.
Visit the School of Music
For questions regarding Bass Day details, contact the program director, Professor Barry Green.
[pdf]—Some links on this page are to Adobe .pdf files requiring Adobe Reader. If you need them in a more accessible format, contact us.