Field Experience Information
Please read this section carefully as there has been a change in Ohio State’s College of Education and Human Ecology (EHE) and school district policies.
Intent to Register
Music Education "Intent to Register" Form [pdf] * (2/13/18)
This form must be completed by students who are enrolling in the following method courses which have a lab/field experience component:
- Music 2470 Intro to Music Education
- Music 3578 Intro to General Music (Spring only)
- Music 4572 MS General Music (Autumn only)
- Music 4574 Choral Music I (Spring only)
- Music 4575 Choral Music II (Autumn only)
- Music 4576 Elem & MS Instrumental (Spring only)
- Music 4577 HS Instrumental (Autumn only)
- Music 4579 General Music II (Autumn only)
Return the completed form to the Music Education office.
The Intent Form is due by October 1 for spring semester requests and by March 1 for autumn semester. In addition to filling out the intent form, you must sign up for these classes as soon as you receive your class registration window. If this form is not completed by these dates, and you do not register for classes quickly, we cannot guarantee that you will be able to complete a 4-year program in music education.
If you have any questions, please email the program manager, Christopher Dent.
Early Field Experience
The application form is to be completed by students who are participating in the Early Field Experience, which is an initial observational experience in the schools.
Other required EFE documents:
- 50 Hours Early Field Experience Log [pdf] (2/13/18)
- Music Education Early Field Experience Journal [pdf] (10/9/15)
Application deadline for Autumn 2018 and Spring 2019 — 3/1/2018
- Student Teaching Application (rev.) [pdf] (2/13/18)
- Student Teaching Handbook [pdf] (2/12/15)
- Educator Preparation Costs 2014 [pdf] (1/10/14)
Professional Standing Application Deadlines
- March 20, 2017 for Autumn 2017
- November 20, 2017 for Spring 2018
- March 19, 2018 for Autumn 2018
- November 19, 2018 for Spring 2019
Watch for dates of opening windows on TK20 for applications.
It is important that all pre-music education students and music education majors adhere to The Ohio State University's requirements for any field placements.
Before beginning a field experience students must:
- Apply for an updated background check (FBI and BCI & I) from Ohio State’s Human Resources Office (this can take between 6 to 8 weeks). You need to update this yearly. It is suggested that you update again May 15 and have that be the time when you update background checks on a yearly basis.
- Enroll and complete the Activities with Minor Participants video and quiz in BuckeyeLearn: scroll down to "To learn more opportunities, click here" link which directs you to login with your OSU name.# and password. After you login select Browse Training, then and select Compliance (under "Subject" in left column).
- Send the following documents to Josh Maher (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Office of Educator Preparation (these steps need to be done every year):
- An OSU OEP Early Field Experience Application 2017 [pdf] (correction 4/4/17)
- An updated résumé.
- The signed form, Standards of Behavior: Working with Minors [pdf] (10/5/15). Josh Maher is the administrator who will sign it on your behalf.
- The completion certificate of the Activities with Minor Participants video course on BuckeyeLearn (referenced above).
Background checks are a requirement before beginning any early field experience, methods field experience, professional standing application or student teaching. This cost is outlined in the Educator Preparation Costs 2014 [pdf] (1/10/14) (referenced in "Student Teaching" section above).
We strongly encourage you to use Ohio State's Office of Human Resources, located in the South Campus Gateway Building C, Suite 300 at 1590 N. High Street, Columbus, Ohio 43201. They are able to send your background checks to the Office of Educator Preparation efficiently. Please see Background Checks and Fingerprinting 2014 [pdf] (12/30/13) for more information.
As background checks can take between four to six weeks to process, please acquire your background checks at least two months before the background check is required for your field placement or professional standing application. Finally, background checks must be updated yearly, so please be sure to plan ahead when renewing your background checks.
If you have questions, please contact Anne Gee, program manager (email@example.com).
BME Music Education Course Advising by Music Education Faculty
- 2017 Autumn Semester—October 16 – 20, 2017
- 2018 Spring Semester—February 19 – 23, 2018
Post-baccalaureate licensure information can be found at the Music Education page (7/9/14).
[pdf]—Some links on this page are to Adobe .pdf files requiring Adobe Acrobat or Google Chrome ( * fillable ). If you need them in a more accessible format, contact us.