June 23 — 28, 2019
The Middle School Concert Band Academy (Mon. – Fri., 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.) is specifically designed for middle-level concert band musicians to enrich their understanding of music in an enjoyable, non-competitive and positive week-long program. In addition to rehearsals in the large ensemble, students will take part in instrument-specific master classes, as well as choosing two electives (jazz intro, world drumming, ukelele, piano). The program will conclude with a band performance that is free and open to the public.
Program director: Professor David Hedgecoth
- Morning music FUNdamentals
- Ensemble and sectional rehearsals led by experienced staff
- Varied, engaging repertoire
- Daily elective activities including jazz intro, world drumming, ukulele and piano
- Finale concert
Daily Schedule Overview
The Middle School Concert Band Academy will begin with orientation sessions and seating auditions on Sunday, June 23 from 2 – 6 p.m.
- Sunday — Woodwind/percussion orientation, 2 – 4 p.m.; brass orientation 4 – 6 p.m.
- Monday–Friday — 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. (This daily schdule is firm. We are unable to provide supervision prior to or after the program ends each day.)
The dress rehearsal and final concert will take place in Weigel Hall on Friday, June 28. The concert, 4 – 5 p.m., is free and open to the public.
A detailed daily schedule will be provided approximately three weeks prior to the start of the program.
- Full registration deadline: May 29, 2019
- Limited registration deadline: June 19, 2019
Registrations completed by the Full registration deadline (online registration, and receipt of tuition payment and completed forms) will include all resources of the program (tuition, T-shirt). After that deadline, all submitted registrations are considered Limited which may mean that some resources are not available (program capacity, T-shirt). Be reminded that programs do sometimes fill to capacity prior to the Full registration deadline.
Instrumentation is limited, so all are encouraged to register early. This program traditionally reaches capacity before the deadline. We will accept the first 100 students who have registered, paid and submitted required forms.
Program registration consists of three steps:
After submitting the online registration, you should immediately receive a confirmation email. If you have not received it, one of three things has happened:
- The email address you entered on your form may be incorrect
- The confirmation email was sent to your SPAM box
- The online registration was not received by our system
If you do not receive the confirmation email within two hours of submitting a registration, contact the Youth Summer Music Programs registrar for further instructions.
Step Two—Payment. Pay the participation fee online according to the instructions contained in your registration confirmation email. You will then see a "Checkout complete" screen acknowledging that your payment is in process, and an order number. Keep this number for your records.
If you choose to pay with a check or money order (made payable to "The Ohio State University"), mail payment to the School of Music at the address below. You will receive confirmation by email within 7 – 10 business days.
The Ohio State University School of Music
ATTN: Middle School Concert Band Academy—YSMP Registrar
110 Weigel Hall
1866 College Rd.
Columbus, OH 43210
Refund Policy. All but $100 of your fee will be refunded prior to the porgram's registration deadline. Refunds after the deadline are made at the discretion of the program director.
Step Three—Required forms. Parents or guardians are required to print out, complete, sign and send the following forms:
Mail the completed and signed forms to the address above, or scan and email them to the YSMP registrar.
You will receive a welcome email with further instructions about program attendance approximately two weeks before the event.
- Visit Youth Summer Music Programs Frequently Asked Questions.
- For questions regarding Middle School Concert Band Academy curriculum, contact David Hedgecoth at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For questions or concerns about registration or payment procedures, email the Youth Summer Music Programs registrar.
[pdf]—Some links on this page are to Adobe .pdf files requiring Adobe Reader. If you need them in a more accessible format, contact us.