June 21 — 26, 2020
Held at Gahanna Lincoln High School
The Middle School Concert Band Academy (Mon. – Fri., 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.) is specifically designed for middle-level concert band musicians to enrich their understanding of music in an enjoyable, non-competitive and positive week-long program. In addition to rehearsals in the large ensemble, students will take part in instrument-specific master classes, as well as choosing two electives (Improvisation, Jazz Intro., World Drumming, Ukelele). The program will conclude with a band performance that is free and open to the public.
Program director: Phillip A. Day
- Morning music FUNdamentals
- Ensemble and sectional rehearsals led by experienced staff
- Varied, engaging repertoire
- Daily elective activities: Improvisation, Jazz Intro., World Drumming, Ukelele
- Finale concert
You will be asked to indicate elective preferences on the registration form.
- NEW! Improvisation for All — Open to all students regardless of instrument and experience. Instrumental musicians have been improvising for hundreds of years…well before the advent of jazz. Provides skills in both group and individual improvisation through an explorative and highly creative elective. Students will use their own instruments for this elective.
- Jazz Intro — Open to all students regardless of instrument and experience. Provides an introduction to jazz band for students interested in knowing more about this rich American art form. Students will use their own instruments for this elective.
- Ukulele — Open to all students regardless of instrument and experience. Explores and provides skills on this popular instrument within the guitar family…with historical ties to Hawaii and Portugal. Ukuleles are provided.
- World Drumming — Open to all students regardless of instrument and experience. Explores hand drumming traditions from around the world with all students engaged in “hands-on” experiences. Percussion instruments are provided.
Eligibility: for students entering grades 7 – 9 in the 2020 – 2021 school year.
Registration opens here on Feb. 1, 2020.
- Full registration deadline: May 27
- Limited registration deadline: June 17
Daily Schedule Overview
The Middle School Concert Band Academy will begin with orientation sessions and seating auditions (date/time TBA).
- Sunday — Woodwind/percussion orientation, 2 – 4 p.m.; brass orientation 4 – 6 p.m.
- Monday–Friday — 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. (This daily schdule is firm. We are unable to provide supervision prior to or after the program ends each day.)
The finale concert (date/time TBA) is free and open to the public.
A detailed daily schedule will be provided approximately three weeks prior to the start of the program.
- Visit Youth Summer Music Programs Frequently Asked Questions.
- For questions or concerns about registration or payment procedures, email YouthSummerMusic@osu.edu.
[pdf]—Some links on this page are to Adobe .pdf files requiring Adobe Reader. If you need them in a more accessible format, contact us.