Autumn Semester 2018
Tuesday, August 21 and Thursday, August 23
Hughes Hall • 1899 College Rd.
All students participating in jazz ensembles or applied lessons—music majors and non-majors—must participate in the audition process.
All students must submit a Jazz Audition Form and schedule an audition time as noted below.
All brass, saxophone and rhythm players are expected to (a) prepare excerpts for their instrument/s, (b) sight-read jazz charts and (c) play short improvisations at audition.
1. Complete the digital Jazz Audition Form (required) at least one day prior to the scheduled date for your instrument.
2. Schedule your audition time via the appropriate SignUpGenius link below.
- Woodwind audition sign-up
- Brass audition sign-up
- Guitar, Bass and Piano audition sign-up
- Drum Set audition sign-up
3. Download the excerpt(s) for your instrument(s) from the list below. Most excerpts begin at mid-page; disregard any blank space near the top.
SAXOPHONE / WOODWIND (Shawn Wallace)
Thursday, Aug. 23 from 9 a.m.–1:45 p.m. (HU 407) — Excerpts:
BRASS — Tuesday, Aug. 21 from 11 a.m.–3 p.m. (HU 315B)
- Trumpet (Anthony Stanco) — Excerpt: Trumpet [pdf]
- Trombone (Jim Masters) — Excerpts:
GUITAR, BASS AND PIANO — Tuesday, Aug. 21 from 10 a.m.–1 p.m. (HU 313A)
- Guitar, Bass (Kevin Turner) — Excerpts:
- Piano (Dave Powers, Kristopher Keith) — Excerpt: Piano [pdf]
DRUMS (Jim Rupp, Michael Smith) — Thursday, Aug. 23 from 9 a.m.–1 p.m. (HU 014)
- You will be asked to play grooves in a variety of styles, as well as sight read some rhythms and a chart. — Excerpt: Drums [pdf]
Opportunities for vocalists are available through the Ohio Show Band.
Vocalists are expected to (i) demonstrate vocal range, (ii) sing an unaccompanied song of their choice and (iii) demonstrate ability to harmonize at audition.
JAZZ / CONTEMPORARY VOICE auditions (Shawn Wallace)
Thursday, Aug. 23 from 9 a.m.–1:45 p.m. (HU 407)
- Complete the digital Jazz Audition Form (required) at least one day prior to the scheduled voice audition date.
- Schedule your audition time at Jazz/Contemporary Voice audition sign-ups.
After the Auditions
Band personnel lists will be posted on the bulletin board across from the Weigel first floor elevator.
All students participating in jazz ensembles or lessons must attend a Jazz Studies area meeting to be held Sunday evening following auditions: AUGUST 26, 2018 from 6–8 p.m. in Hughes Auditorium.
Rehearsals for all ensembles begin Monday, August 27.
For further information please contact Professor Shawn Wallace, director of Jazz Studies, at email@example.com, 614-292-2678, 407 Hughes Hall.
[pdf]—Some links on this page are to .pdf files requiring Adobe Reader. If you need them in a more accessible format, contact us.
If error message This PDF file might not be displayed properly appears, click Open in a different viewer and select Adobe Acrobat.