Bachelor of Science in Music: Computer Sciences, Sonic Arts, and Media and Enterprise
Academic admission to the university is separate from the School of Music application and audition process.
- High school seniors should first apply to the university by visiting The Ohio State University Undergraduate Admissions website. The university application for academic year 2021–2022 is now closed. Deadline — Feb. 1, 2021
Step 1: Apply to The Ohio State University
- To be considered for most university merit scholarships, an early November deadline will apply. The deadline for November 2021 will be posted at a later date.
- Visit Undergraduate Cost + Aid for more information on university financial aid and scholarships.
2. The university application for academic year 2021–2022 is now CLOSED.
Step 2: Apply to the School of Music
1. Review the application materials that are required for each track of the Bachelor of Science in Music and have them prepared to upload prior to submitting your application.
NOTE: the Media and Enterprise track will not be accepting applications for the 2021–2022 academic year.
2. Apply to the School of Music via Acceptd®.
- There is a $15 student application fee
- The final application deadline is February 1, unless you are also opting to perform a "virtual" live audition, in which case the application is due two weeks prior to your chosen audition date.
- No late applications will be accepted.
The School of Music application through Acceptd® is CLOSED. Application information for the 2022–2023 academic year will be announced in June 2021.
Step 3 (Optional): Schedule Your Audition
The audition process is an option for the Sonic Arts and Music and Enterprise tracks of the Bachelor of Science degree. It is required for the Computer Science track IF you do not submit a composition. See Required Application Materials.
Taking an audition is required if you also wish to be considered for other degree programs within the School of Music (Performance, Music Education, Composition, Musicology, Bachelor of Arts in Music).
1. If you choose to perform a live audition, you will be asked to select an audition date as a part of the application process. If you are unable to attend one of our scheduled audition dates and opt to submit a recorded audition with your application, the deadline is February 1.
Audition dates for admission for academic year 2022–2023 will be posted by June 2021.
Visit Audition Day information for updates.
2. You must prepare your audition according to the requirements for your instrument. Refer to Audition Requirements.
Theory Placement Exam
For the 2020–2021 audition season — when auditions will be conducted remotely — all students who have committed to attend Ohio State will take the Theory Placement Exam (TPE) prior to the start of their summer orientation in May. This exam is administered to determine whether a student’s prior study has sufficiently prepared them for Theory I, and will help to inform the scheduling process. The exam covers basic notation, scales, key signatures, rhythm and chords.
The TPE will be administered via Zoom. Students will receive details well in advance.
The result of this test does not have an impact on a student’s admission into the School of Music.
Scholarships and Financial Aid
Visit these sites for information about merit-based or need-based scholarships that may be offered by the university.
- Visit Undergraduate Admissions/Scholarships for details about academic scholarships.
- Visit Types of Aid for Incoming Freshmen for more information about financial aid options, eligibility criteria and deadlines.