Bachelor of Science in Music: Computer Sciences, Sonic Arts, and Media and Enterprise
If you are applying for a degree program in Composition, Jazz Studies, Liberal Arts in Music, Music Education, Musicology, Performance or Theory please RETURN to
Undergraduates - How to Apply
Step 1: Apply to The Ohio State University
- Apply by November 1 if you wish to be considered for most merit scholarships.
- Visit Undergraduate Cost + Aid for more information on university financial aid and scholarships.
2. Visit Undergraduate Admissions to complete your university application.
Step 2: Apply to the School of Music
1. Review the application materials that are required for each track of the Bachelor of Science in Music and have them prepared to upload prior to submitting your application.
2. Apply to the School of Music via Acceptd® at the link below:
- There is a $15 student application fee
- All applications should be submitted by February 1, unless you are opting to perform a live audition, in which case the application is due two weeks prior to your chosen audition date.
Step 3: (Optional — Schedule Your Audition)
The audition process is not mandatory for the Bachelor of Science degree, but is an option if you wish to be considered for other degree programs within the School of Music (Performance, Music Education, Composition, Musicology, Bachelor of Arts in Music).
1. If you choose to perform an audition, you will be asked to select an audition date as a part of the application process.
Audition dates for the academic year 2020–2021 are:
- Thursday, Dec. 5, 2019 *
- Saturday, Jan. 25, 2020
- Saturday, Feb. 8, 2020
* Preferred audition date for university applications received before the Nov. 1 deadline.
If you are unable to attend one of our scheduled audition days, you may choose to either upload a video audition or request an alternative date — on weekdays only — in your School of Music application.
2. Refer to Audition Requirements for repertoire suggestions, requirements for your audition and instructions on how to create and upload a video audition.
3. For more information about our audition days, including a sample schedule, please visit Audition Day Information.
Theory Placement Exam
All students will take a Theory Placement Exam (TPE) to determine if they are ready to enter Music Theory I. The exam covers basic notation, scales, key signatures, rhythm and chords.
Students admitted to the Bachelor of Science program who did not perform an audition should contact the School of Music's Undergraduate Studies Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 614-292-2870 to schedule a time to come to campus to take the TPE.
Please note, the results of your TPE will not affect your application to the School of Music.
Scholarships and Financial Aid
Visit these sites for information about merit-based or need-based scholarships that may be offered by the university.
- Visit Undergraduate Admissions/Scholarships for details about academic scholarships.
- Visit Types of Aid for Incoming Freshmen for more information about financial aid options, eligibility criteria and deadlines.