Bachelor of Science in Music: Computer Sciences, Sonic Arts, and Media and Enterprise
Academic admission to the university is separate from the School of Music application and audition process.
- High school seniors should first apply to the university by visiting The Ohio State University Undergraduate Admissions website (link provided below).
- Transfer students may proceed with their School of Music application and apply to the university before May 1 so that their autumn grades may be included.
Step 1: Apply to The Ohio State University
- Apply by November 15 if you wish to be considered for most university merit scholarships.
- Visit Undergraduate Cost + Aid for more information on university financial aid and scholarships.
2. Visit Undergraduate Admissions to complete your university application.
Step 2: Apply to the School of Music
1. Review the application materials that are required for each track of the Bachelor of Science in Music and have them prepared to upload prior to submitting your application.
NOTE: the Media and Enterprise track will not be accepting applications for the 2021–2022 academic year.
2. Apply to the School of Music via Acceptd® at the link below:
- There is a $15 student application fee
- The final application deadline is February 1, unless you are also opting to perform a "virtual" live audition, in which case the application is due two weeks prior to your chosen audition date.
- No late applications will be accepted.
The School of Music application through Acceptd® is OPEN.
Step 3 (Optional): Schedule Your Audition
The audition process is an option for the Sonic Arts and Music and Enterprise tracks of the Bachelor of Science degree. It is required for the Computer Science track IF you do not submit a composition. See Required Application Materials.
Taking an audition is required if you also wish to be considered for other degree programs within the School of Music (Performance, Music Education, Composition, Musicology, Bachelor of Arts in Music).
1. If you choose to perform a live audition, you will be asked to select an audition date as a part of the application process. Note that if you are unable to attend one of these dates and opt to submit a recorded audition with your application, the deadline is February 1.
Audition dates for the academic year 2021–2022 are:
- Saturday, December 5, 2020
- Saturday, January 23, 2021
- Saturday, February 13, 2021
We are in the process of creating an engaging virtual audition experience. Visit Audition Day information for updates.
2. You must prepare your audition according to the requirements for your instrument. Refer to Audition Requirements.
Theory Placement Exam
All students will take a Theory Placement Exam (TPE) to determine if they are ready to enter Music Theory I. The exam covers basic notation, scales, key signatures, rhythm and chords.
For students admitted to the Bachelor of Science program who did not perform an audition, the TPE will be administered remotely via Zoom prior to attending orientation.
Please note, the results of your TPE will not affect your application to the School of Music.
Scholarships and Financial Aid
Visit these sites for information about merit-based or need-based scholarships that may be offered by the university.
- Visit Undergraduate Admissions/Scholarships for details about academic scholarships.
- Visit Types of Aid for Incoming Freshmen for more information about financial aid options, eligibility criteria and deadlines.