Ensemble Update for Autumn 2020
The Ohio State University orchestras, choirs and bands are committed to providing meaningful educational and performance experiences amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. Whether instruction is online, in person/socially distanced, or a hybrid, the conducting and studio faculty continue to creatively plan instruction following state and university guidelines for student safety, while simultaneously preparing students for their professional life in music.
All students participating in jazz ensembles or applied lessons — music majors and non-majors — must participate in the audition process.
All auditionees are required to complete a registration form via GoogleForm and schedule an audition via SignUpGenius. Links to these forms are posted below.
Auditions will be held during the first week of classes (August 25–28). Rehearsals will begin the following week.
All brass, saxophone and rhythm players are expected to (i) prepare excerpts for their instrument/s, (ii) sight-read jazz charts and (iii) play short improvisations at audition.
1. DOWNLOAD the excerpt(s) for your instrument(s) from the list below. Most excerpts begin at mid-page; disregard any blank space near the top. NOTE: Excerpts change for each audition cycle.
- Alto sax [pdf]
- Tenor sax [pdf]
- Baritone sax [pdf] *
- Soprano sax [pdf]
- Trumpet [pdf]
- Trombone [pdf]
- Bass trombone [pdf]
- Guitar [pdf]
- Piano [pdf] *
- Bass [pdf] *
- Drums [pdf] ** and mp3
2. SCHEDULE your audition time via the appropriate SignUpGenius link prior to audition week (required).
- Saxophone — Friday 8/28, 10 a.m.–2 p.m.
- Trumpet — Wednesday 8/26, 10 a.m.–2 p.m.
- Trombone — Thursday 8/27, 12–4 p.m.
- Guitar, Bass — Thursday 8/27, 12–4 p.m.
- Piano — Wednesday 8/26, 10 a.m.–2 p.m.
- Drums — Thursday 8/27, 9 a.m.–1 p.m.
3. COMPLETE the digital Jazz Audition registration form (required) at least one day prior to the scheduled date for your instrument.
After the Auditions
A required Jazz Studies area meeting via Zoom will be scheduled at a later date and time for ALL students participating in jazz ensembles and applied lessons. An email invitation containing the Zoom meeting link will be sent to all jazz students.
For further information please contact Professor Shawn Wallace, director of Jazz Studies, at firstname.lastname@example.org, 614-292-2678, 407 Hughes Hall.
Return to Jazz Ensembles
[pdf] — Some links on this page are to .pdf files requiring Adobe Reader. If you need them in a more accessible format, contact us.
If error message This PDF file might not be displayed properly appears, click Open in a different viewer and select Adobe Acrobat.