The Ohio State University choral program is comprised of five choirs; all choirs are open to both music majors and non-music majors. Placement in a choir is by audition only (except Gospel Choir, a non-auditioned group).
Choirs meet at the following times:
- Symphonic Choir — MWF, 1:50–2:45 p.m.
- Women's Glee Club — MWF, 3–3:55 p.m.
- Men's Glee Club — MWF, 4:10–5:05 p.m.
- University Chorus — MW, 5:20–6:10 p.m.
All students are welcome and encouraged to audition for one of our choral ensembles. Auditions are held during the first week of autumn semester on the third floor of Weigel Hall, rooms 314–316, unless otherwise noted. Please plan to arrive 15 minutes prior to your selected slot.
Students intending to audition for a particular ensemble should sign up for a time slot with the associated conductor (For example, if you wish to audition for Symphonic Choir, you must sign up for a slot with Dr. Caswell MacMullen).
• If you are a non-music major and not certain about which ensemble is most appropriate for you, sign up for a slot with either conductor.
• Voice majors must audition for both Dr. Ward and Dr. Caswell-MacMullen. These auditions will occur on Monday, August 21 from 12:00 - 4:00 p.m. Voice majors received an email on Aug. 10 with audition instructions. Voice majors, sign up here.
What to Expect
Be prepared to perform the following:
- Scales and short melodies — to test range and demonstrate voice quality
- Sing an unaccompanied melody — a patriotic tune or hymn tune (words provided)
- Melodic retention exercise — sing back short melodic patterns
- Rhythmic exercise — clap or sing rhythmic patterns in common meters
- Sight reading — both rhythms and pitches
Voice majors will also need to sing a prepared solo (pianist will be provided).
For more information about choral groups, please email Dr. Robert Ward or call 614-292-4622.
All questions regarding Women's Glee Club should be directed to Dr. Kristina MacMullen at email@example.com or 614-292-9926.