Ensemble Update for Autumn Semester 2020
To honor our fundamental commitment to the health, well-being and safety of all involved in ensemble music making, the structure of large ensembles has been modified this semester. The modifications follow months of discussion in which the needs of musicians who gather in person to make music have been balanced with the most reliable scientific evidence available regarding COVID-19. Modifications to the size of ensembles, instrumentation, variety of music making settings, and performance experiences have been implemented. Additionally, strict adherence to all protocols established by our university have also been incorporated, and include the identified maximum number of musicians allowed in each given rehearsal space, the maximum length of any single rehearsal, and balancing in-person and virtual learning experiences.
How do I join the Ohio State Concert Bands?
Browse the Ensembles menu links to learn more about each band.
WIND SYMPHONY, SYMPHONIC BAND and COLLEGIATE WINDS — by audition. Auditions are open to ALL woodwind and brass students enrolled at The Ohio State University, regardless of major.
- Percussionists: Ohio State has decided to observe the safety guidelines and best practices outlined in the Percussive Arts Society's publication, Managing COVID-19 Protocols in Administering Performance Curriculum. One of the central best practices is not sharing sticks, mallets and/or trap equipment between musicians. As a result, we have decided that we are unable to accommodate non-music-major percussionists back to ensemble music-making until it becomes possible to do so safely.
- Music Majors: All woodwind and brass students majoring in music are expected to prepare audition materials for Wind Symphony, Symphonic Band and/or Symphony Orchestra (see below). It is not permissible for a music major to prepare an audition for Collegiate Winds, only.
UNIVERSITY BAND — A formal audition is not required.
- Register for the course. Undergraduate: Music 2204.04 | Graduate: Music 7204.04.
- Placement auditions to seat the band will occur in August.
- University Band: Autumn 2020 information for students
Auditions for Autumn 2020 will be video-recorded by each auditionee, and submitted for evaluation according to the procedures outlined in the instruction pages of the audition material packet. Auditions will be evaluated by conducting and studio faculty members.
DEADLINE to submit audition recordings — 5 p.m. on MONDAY, AUGUST 10, 2020
A note about Symphony Orchestra auditions. Brass and woodwind auditions for the Symphony Orchestra are conducted by the respective studio teachers in coordination with auditions for the Ohio State bands. Students playing these instruments will use the same audition resources as for bands.
Downloadable audition packets including instructions on how to submit your audition video are located at Audition Instructions.
Contact Christopher Dent, administrative associate for concert bands.