The Audition Process for Academic Year 2018-19
Special Note to Fellowship Applicants: Those wishing to be considered for a Fellowship must audition by January 20, 2018.
*You must submit an application and upload required materials with the application, prior to scheduling an audition.* If you have not yet done so, go to Graduate Application Procedures.
NOTE: Please allow 1–2 business days before emailing your request for an audition to us, so that we may have time to verify the receipt of your application.
Carefully review and follow the audition requirements for your area:
Note that ONLY the Piano and Voice areas require the submission of pre-screen videos, as follows.
For Piano—prior to an invitation to present a live audition, all applicants must upload with the electronic application, all required materials. A pre-screen video audition must also be uploaded into Dropbox.com and the link sent to Professor Steven Glaser (email@example.com). The application and materials, and the pre-screen audition, must all be completed by November 30, 2017. Go to the Graduate Application Procedures for instructions.
Prospective graduate students in Piano may wish to be considered for financial assistance through an appointment as a graduate teaching associate. There is no additional application form to be considered for funding. Prospective graduate students should check the appropriate box in the on-line application to be considered for financial assistance. The duties for students holding an appointment as a graduate teaching associate may include applied piano teaching, group piano teaching, accompanying and other administrative duties. See below * for detailed instructions.
The DMA pre-screen audition must include (1) one movement of a sonata, and (2) one Etude of virtuosity. The MM or MA pre-screen audition must include (1) the first movement of a sonata, and (2) a contrasting work.
* Students who wish to be considered for a teaching assistantship must submit a teaching demonstration in addition to the solo performance pre-screen audition. The teaching demonstration should be a 15- to 20- minute segment of a private or group lesson with a student at any age and level. The teaching demonstration must be in English. Please upload a digital video file recording with clear audio quality along with the performance audition (also by November 30, 2017).
After the faculty have reviewed the piano pre-screen audition and supporting materials, the applicant will be notified via email whether or not they will be invited for a live audition. Once you receive the audition invitation, you may schedule your live audition. The decision of the faculty is final.
For Voice—prior to an invitation to present a live audition, all applicants must upload with the electronic application, all required materials. A pre-screen video audition must also be uploaded into Dropbox.com and the link sent to Dr. C. Patrick Woliver. The application and materials, and the pre-screen audition, must all be completed by November 30, 2017. Go to the Graduate Application Procedures for instructions.
This video should last no longer than 15 minutes and should contain repertoire in at least 2 (two) languages that shows your voice and you at your best. The voice faculty will then make a decision whether or not to invite you for a live audition and you will be notified by email when that decision has been made. Once you receive the audition invitation, you may schedule your live audition. The voice faculty will not listen to a live audition until all application materials have been submitted. The decision of the faculty is final.
Go to Graduate Audition Dates and follow the instructions.
- You must upload the required materials with your online application prior to scheduling an audition.
- Piano and voice majors must also upload a pre-screening video into Dropbox as noted above and notify the listed faculty member. The faculty will then decide whether to invite you for a live audition. If you receive an invitation via email, you may then schedule your live audition.
- There is no pre-screening for brass, strings or woodwinds.
Applicants wishing to schedule live auditions (after meeting any pre-screen requirements for your major) must contact us.* Due to the volume of auditions that we hold, we are not able to contact applicants individually. Visit Graduate Audition Dates which contains information regarding whom you should contact to schedule an audition.
* Graduate Studies in Music | firstname.lastname@example.org