The Mission of the Climate, Diversity and Equity Committee is to provide a safe and inclusive environment for every member of our School of Music community. Our goal is to provide a welcoming climate with a special emphasis on inclusion, diversity and community building. The School of Music values the contributions of every member of our community and respects the profound ways their identity, culture, background, experience, status, abilities and opinions enrich our musical community.
The Climate, Diversity and Equity Committee will help students, faculty and staff to identify university resources or best practice activities when challenges or conflict arise. The committee welcomes input from all members of our community regarding any problems, areas of concern, or suggestions to improve the climate of our School. Because we understand that discussions of this nature are sensitive, all information brought to the committee will remain confidential to the extent allowed by University policy and the law.
David Hedgecoth, assistant professor, Music Education
- Filing a complaint / reporting an incident
- Code of Student Conduct
- Information (for students, faculty and staff) on how to address a disruptive or distressed individual
- Make an anonymous report
- Raise a question or concern
Multicultural Center, Office of Student Life (for students, faculty and staff)
- Wellness initiatives
- Prejudice-reduction training
- Social Justice Engagement courses
- LGBTQ Education Dialogues and Programs
- Open Doors training
- Receives, monitors and — as necessary — coordinates university responses to hate and bias-related incidents
- An effective resource for anyone who needs to report an incident of bias or wants to explore and better understand issues like bias and discrimination, and how to effectively respond